Chapter Thirteen.

CHRISTINE:

"It is I who should be grateful, my child. You were a great triumph. The angels wept tonight."

Before I could say anything more, someone knocked on the door. I blew out the candles beside the mirror and lit the gas lamp on my vanity, "Christine?"

It was Raoul and I wondered just how much of the conversation he heard, "Come in."

He stormed into the room, looking about like a madman. He shoved aside curtains, moved jars of flowers and almost went through my wardrobe, "Where is he?" he said in a defensive tone.

"What are you talking about?"

"I thought they were insane, but you do have a man in here. I heard his voice," he said, looking behind the drapes beside the mirror.

"You were spying on me?!"

"Where is the man?"

"Raoul, there is no man. If you must know, I was speaking with the angel of music."

He held it back for moment, but then he laughed. I had no idea what to do, "Raoul," he laughed harder.

"You've been fooled, Christine."

"Raoul, please-"

"I cannot believe you would fall for that."

"Get out!"

He stopped and reached for my hand, but I shied away, "Christine, please-"

"Just leave me for the night. Have fun with your brother, Raoul."

Once the door was shut on him, I could forget how he made fun at me. I didn't want to believe the angel wasn't real, but it could be entirely possible. This opera house was, indeed, cursed. Suddenly, my gas lamp flickered out and I heard my doors lock. A gulp loosened my throat and I searched the room for my key... but it wasn't here. Now I was frightened. What would become of me? Was this the work of the ghost? Did Raoul do this? I did not know - I had no idea.

Then a voice filled the room, the voice of my angel, "I have come for you, my child."

"Come for me?"

The room was dark and I couldn't see a thing except for my mirror. The mirror seemed to be illuminated with some sort of glowing light. It was very peculiar, "Yes, my dear girl. I have come to take you from the wicked world. Come. Come to your mirror."

I followed the light that the mirror exuded, cautious with my step. There was a gentle cracking noise and the mirror slid open like a door. Mist spilled onto my toes and the bottom of my white dressing gown flew backwards to reveal my legs. Nerves tugged at my body as I shyly stepped inside, the mirror closing behind me. The cold brick of a wall was all I could feel and I stayed there for a moment until a cold hand touched me.

With focus, I could see a white, porcelain mask. This was much too frightening, "Who are you? Where is the voice?!"

"I am the voice."

I felt somewhat betrayed, yet I should have expected it. Raoul was right - I've been fooled. I would have been angry, but he really was the voice. That didn't change how betrayed I felt, "You are no angel. You're a...a...a-"