Chapter 37

They were stuck somewhere in a place between dreams and reality. They had surrounded themselves in their own little cocoon that neither was willing to step out of for a while. The material of his shirt surrounding her body grazed against his side as she sidled closer to him, running her fingers slowly over his chest. Neither was quite able to catch their breath just yet but the idea of moving away from him seemed almost ridiculous to her. She wanted to hold onto that feeling for just a little while longer. She still couldn't believe the things he had whispered into her ears as he kissed her shoulders and her neck. She still flushed at the way he caught her bottom lip between his teeth, sucking gently on it as if he knew it would drive her mad. The feeling of his arm wrapped around her, his hand painting lazy spirals all across the top of her back only caused her to push herself even closer into him. She could feel his warmth and the steadying rise and fall of his chest beneath her arm before she looked at him- Just looked at his face...

Only to find his gazed locked onto her already.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, closing her eyes as if she could block her shyness at his probing gaze.

"Like what?" She could hear the slight smile in his voice as he continued to look at her.

"Like I'm the last slice of cake on a plate..." She looked back up at him, smiling lightly before reaching up to brush her lips quickly against his. She couldn't get over it- kissing him without it being a prelude to something more. Kissing him just because she wanted to feel his lips beneath her own.

"I don't like cake."

"No?" She looked back at him, still feeling as if she wasn't quite awake just yet and as if her dreams had somehow melded into reality.

"No." His hand wondered to her midback, pushing her to rest even more snugly against him.

"Then what do you like?" His finger felt warm against her lips as he rubbed his thumb gently over them.

"Whatever this is..." He rubbed his thumb over her bottom lip, pressing his finger lightly onto the lipstick surface before he looked back at his thumb. "Really doesn't come off ne."

"Not really." She laughed lightly. "It came in the parcels when we got married."

"Must be some imported shit then."

"Must be." She was content to stop talking just then. She needed to sort out the feelings and thoughts running madly through her mind. She couldn't identify it. She was sure she had written about it but when it came down to it, it felt like nothing she had ever imagined. Her heart felt full...

For the first time in her life, her heart felt full as if all the missing pieces had been shaded in with a pencil colour. The gaps could never be filled but those spaces were no longer just truly empty. Without realising it, her hand had roved over his chest, across his ribs before settling on a spot to the left of his navel. She had done it so subconsciously, but her fingertips began to scratch lightly at the small piece of raised flesh before she looked down at it. It was a small, circular mark that was an almost dark tanned colour just a few centimetres away from his belly button. "What's this?" She asked, circling the mark slowly with the tip of her index finger.

"It's a birthmark." He stilled her hand beneath his own. "My dad has one in the same spot."

"Oh..." She mumbled, blushing brightly as she realised the effect she had on him just then.

Shit....

"Do you have any?"

She looked up at him, choosing not to reply as she shifted her leg to rest above his own..