Chapter 27

Hoori was halfway through with her cup of Milo by the time Mikaeel stepped foot into the kitchen. She looked at him surreptitiously from behind her little white cup as he walked up to the fridge searching for anything he could gulp down. He really did look ten shades darker and they probably should have slept a little earlier the night before considering the fact that he hadn't even realised that he was wearing his pullover inside out. He was late for his lecture and with the construction on the highway, she was sure he would miss it entirely.

"Your pullover is on inside out."

He looked down, shaking his head at himself before he pulled off the black pullover in order to fix it up.

"So," he asked, fitting his arms through the sleeves, "When did all this happen?"

"What?"

"Making breakfast?"

"Oh," She placed her cup gently on her saucer. "When I was trying to ignore you."

He just nodded, unwilling to delve further into that topic. It was probably safer that way...

"You know," She said softly, picking her cup up once again as he resumed his search through the fridge. "I finally made the ten steps."

"Oh?" His hand instantly stilled before he turned around, closing the fridge softly. "Really?"

"Uhm hmm." She looked back down as the chocolatey milk danced cautiously along the rim of the cup, trying to ignore the fact that he was walking slowly towards her.

"When?" He was closer still- just 3 steps away from her.

"Last week."

"You can say it, you know." He was right next to her, his knee braced on the floor as he knelt down before he took the cup out of her hold and set it down softly on the table.

"Say what?"

"I know you just want me to kiss you." The little hairs on the nape of her neck bristled at his close proximity.

"I know you're just looking for an excuse." Her brazen reply stunned him, but only for a second.

"Really?"

"Uh huh."

"See the thing is," his voice was so close to her ears that it sent little prickles all the way down to her toes as his lips barely brushed against the shell of her ear.

"Uhm hmm." She only peeked at him through the corner of her eye as she busied her hands with the bright silver spoon in front of her.

"Look at me Hoori."

She turned to look at him, raising an eyebrow as she waited for him to reply, not realising that his hands were inching slowly towards her cup.

"You and I both know," his lips brushed against hers softly as he spoke while he played with the ties holding up her purple gown.

"What?" She looked down at her hand- surprised to see it wrapped around the edge of his collar.

He leaned back, breaking out of her hold before he gulped down the contents of her cup and stood up. "I don't need an excuse to kiss you."

She could only gasp as he wiped his mouth with his hand before he set her cup back onto the table. "That was mine."

"Ya," He looked down as he tightened the little strings on her gown that he had unknowingly untied, "But I'm late and you could use the practice."

Then he walked away, completely ignoring the way she stared at his back in absolute befuddlement.

...