Chapter 7

3 weeks later

"Nandi!" The doorbell had been ringing for the past 5 minutes yet no one seemed to hear it. "Nandi!"

That woman was so deaf.

"Ya!" She finally replied.

"The doorbell is ringing." Hoori called from the couch. She had never gouged on as many snacks in her life but her uncle went just a little too crazy in the snack aisle and had come home with 4 bags full of junk food.Considering both her aunty and uncle had crazy diabetes, it would be up to Hoori to finish everything.

Not that she minded, really.

"Alright!" She heard Nandi's loud steps on the stairs before she heard voices from the front.

She picked up her Tablet, grateful that she could at least pick it up after 3 very long weeks, as she resumed her movie.

"Hey." An amused voice interrupted her from the doorway.

"Hi." She looked at Mikaeel, surprise evident on her face. What was he doing here?

"How are you?" It felt as if they were strangers meeting for the first time considering how formal they were acting.

"Better, thanks. And you?"

"Okay."

"What are you doing here?" She hadn't messaged him and hadn't planned to till she could at least walk unaided.

"Your aunty told me you needed warmer clothes." He said, eyeing her jersey- his jersey that he had been looking for.

She looked down, covering said jersey with her blanket. "Oh. Thank you." She smiled at him politely not knowing what else to say.

"What are you watching?" He looked at the paused screen, unable to decipher what it was.

"To Sir, with Love." She looked around her, feeling just a little gluttonous at all the opened packets and wrappers around her; even worse so that he had to be there to see it. "Do you want to stay and watch with me?"

"As long as you don't force feed me any of that." He never did have an affinity to junk food.

"I promise." She pushed Play as soon as he was settled on the couch next to hers and they watched in silence, neither knowing what else to say to the other. "How did your exams go?" She had forgotten he was writing his second last exam in between all the other drama that was happening.

"It went okay. I have one last paper next week." He didn't mention that he hadn't started studying and he had every intention of just dropping off her clothes and leaving.

"Hope it goes well."

"Thanks." He said, somewhat stiffly before turning his attention back to the movie.

Neither spoke until the credits rolled, sitting in somewhat uncomfortable silence. It was almost 3 by the time Mikaeel stood up, feeling as if he had overstayed his welcome. "I'm going, okay." He zipped up his jacket before walking out.

"See you."

"Oh." He turned around to look back at her. "Before I forget, Ihsaan and Dahlia want to visit. I told them that you were here."

"No." She didn't even need to think about it. She didn't want to see that man again. Him and his dirty eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"He's not welcomed in this house." She spoke softly, wary of Nandi overhearing anything.

"Seriously? You want me to tell him not to come?" Mikaeel looked at her bewildered. Who the hell did she think she was?