2. The Knight

Chapter 2

Frank Longbottom sat by the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, having a pleasant and quiet breakfast, when the doors burst open and Lily walked in, arguing about something with Hugo.

"I know he needs it, but I can't help him! You know that I don't charge them galleons, Hu. And I can honestly say that Thomas can't pay me with the currency I accept, he is too good of a student and a person!"

"But he really does need it! Come on, Lils, have some mercy! The poor guy's whole relationship depends on that book! He promised his girlfriend to get it for her and-"

"I know, Hu, and I really am sorry for him, but you know that I can't just change my policy. If I make an exception for him, they will all start to think that their galleons are enough of a payment. If he does not have the sort of information I want, he either has to get some or ask somebody else to help him. You know how much we depend on the knowledge and secrets they pay their purchases with – our reign is partly based on it! We would not have as much power and respect as we have now if we did charity."

"Lily please, he's one of my friends! Think of something you want him to do, and I'll make sure he does it. Pretty pleeeaaasssee?"

"Ugh, quit whining you dolt! Alright, just let me think about it for a while." The two of them sat next to Frank, Lily pushing a strand of her pixie cut, auburn hair off her face and loading one plate with porridge and another one with fruit salad, Hugo piling his with mountains of bacon, scrambled eggs, toast and triple chocolate muffins, coating the whole lot under a thick layer of maple syrup. He caught Frank staring at his plate with mild disgust.

"What?! I'm a growing boy, you know!"
"Yeah, but you're not growing upwards anymore," mumbled Lily and returned to her porridge. Hugo stuck out his tongue at her.
"Keep that up and I'll go to the Slytherin table and you can help Thomas with his broken heart."

Hugo quickly chucked some bacon into his mouth.

Frank sighed with relief, returning his attention to the rest of his breakfast (a half-eaten toast and a cranberry muffin). He snuck a glance at Lily. She was reading the Daily Prophet intently just like every morning. Her Slytherin green and silver tie hung loosely around her neck, clashing with her hair. Her shirt was not tucked neatly under her skirt, but stuck out at the back, her hair cut short and naturally wavy, her eyes the colour of Firewhisky. To Frank's mind, she was the most–

But his thought was cut short as he felt a sharp pain in his leg, letting out a cry of pain and surprise. He caught Hugo staring at him.

"What?" He said in a shushed voice.

Hugo nodded towards Lily.

"You were staring at her again."

Even though Hugo was whispering, Frank felt like every eye in the Hall was on him. He felt his cheeks redden.

"Was not," he said quietly.
"Did you say something?" Lily asked, her eyes still on the paper.
"Nothing at all."

After she finished her breakfast, Lily gathered her things and turned to leave.
"I have Quidditch practice this evening, so don't wait up," she said to the boys, grabbing an apple from the table into her bag.

"I thought the Ravenclaw team had booked the field today," said Hugo confused.
"I tried to book it for Gryffindor, but that moron of a Captain wouldn't even consider changing it."