Chapter 1

So, here it is! Already Gone. I hope you enjoy! Thanks! FairyKitten555 is my co-writer!

Katniss

It's a sunny day, but chilly at the same time. Peeta has called and asked me to visit, but visiting means getting outside. Getting outside means getting up. Getting up means moving. Moving... means... ehh...

After about what I think is three hours, but what is just forty five minutes, I move. I shift at first, then sit up. Then step out. Then walk. This all results in taking a shower. Following with putting on something normal. Well, at least for me.

Green and cream - it even rhymes - long sleeved - there it is again - with a button up. You could almost make a song out of it. Then I put on some jeans. Does the color matter? I think it's grey. Or is it blue? It's like a Russian Blue. Those cats. The ones that are blue but they look grey and they're grey when they look blue. All of my talk is nonsense... and nonstop.

I guess this is me. For now. 

I put on my hunting boots, next step. O. U. T. S. I. D. E. I don't wanna go, but I have to. The sun is too bright for me. It almost blinds me when I step out. But I blink it away. Today's a special day, I guess. For Peeta and me.

As I walk down the paved path, I ignore rude and confused and some I can't even describe stares from my lovely fellows of District 12 as I stroke my fingers on - not through, that's almost impossible - my lovely hair.

The day gets warmer than I thought. The rough breeze chills right through my bones and skin, like a ghost. I shiver, pushing horrible memories behind. Then I remember. 

Today I'll be with Peeta. He will be there to comfort me. Maybe even love me. No, maybe not. There's still a damn good chance, though.

I sigh as I make my way into the marketplace. Everything's been rebuilt. Everything. I take that back. Not everything, but most things. Like the shoe shop, where Delly and her brother work. Practically own.

And the sweet shop. Yep. That's where Leevy takes over. My Mom moved back. She may be a major ass, but I still visit her. And maybe even love her. She has been working the apothecary shop. Again. Even though it brings back bad memories. I don't know how she can take it.

The Bakery comes into sight. My breathing has quickened. I'm on the walkway leading to the rebuilt shop.  My vision is blurring. I'm turning the knob. My mind is fogging. I walk in. My heart is racing. I'm inside.

I look around the place. The walls have been painted orange, the outside is brick. The lights hang down in chandeliers. There are seats, where couples share cake, brothers snack on biscuits, and families feast on sandwiches. 

There's about six parties in line, but I am not here to stay in line. I'm here for Peeta. Peeta. Peeta! He stands by a pair of friends, chatting with them, making them laugh. I watch for a while, pretty astonished. Peeta turns his head and notices me.

"Katniss!" 

He says joyfully. Maybe too loud, because everyone in the Bakery turns their head. They say my name in a chorus, until it's practically screamed. 

"Katniss?" "Oh, Katniss!" "Katniss Everdeen!" "Katniss." "The Mockingjay!" Katniss!" "That bastard!"

I am literally standing there, eyes wide in fright. Leaning slightly back. I look like a startled kitten. Soon, there's a crowd around me. Some are screaming questions, some are snapping photos.

Suddenly, memories come back. Memories of the Capitol. The Victory Tour. Everyone's crowding in. Some to be luring more in. My heart is pounding out of my chest. The bomb should be going off any minute now. Maybe even any second.

But Peeta comes to the rescue. "Everyone! Please relax! Give her space!" The crowd moves away and Peeta walks over to me. "You alright?"

"Y-Yes. I'm f-f-fine.." I sputter/mutter/wheeze. Peeta sighs and leads me to his office, where he pulls out a chair for me to sit at. Then, he collapses on his.

There's about a million hours of silence and me standing there, staring at Peeta until he speaks, "Uh, you can have a seat... if you'd like." Nothing could make it even more awkward.

"Oh... yeah..." I sputter/fake laugh/ wheeze. We sit there and stare at each other for a while. Peeta stares at his hands, I stare at my boots.

Peeta clears his throat. I look up at him. "So, I was thinking we could work together. Make living out here and call this the Mellark Bakery. With just the two of us."

"Um... Mellark?" I sputter/mutter/wheeze. "What do you mean by Mellark?"

"I was thinking we could, you know, get married?" It rings in my ears, echos through my brain and travels through my spine. I was thinking we could, you know, get married. It all settles in.

"Um... Peeta..." I whisper. "I, uh, I can't..." I start to hyperventilate. I was thinking we could, you know, get married. "I..." I feel the bile rising in my throat. "I... gotta go!"

I speed out of his office and into the main Bakery. Out the doors and into the clouded sun. The gray sky circles around. Threatening to devour us all.

I keep running, tears filling my eyes. My eyes that are as grey as the sky. And I know, when the sky flashes with lightning, thunder roars, my eyes reflect it. The storm blazing out on 12, and in me. My tears spill out just as the rain does.

And I'm left thinking to myself, screaming at myself...

...That I've made the wrong move.