Matching Moony (Remus Lupin)

Start from the beginning

"But?"

"But he found out who the head girl was."

I couldn't help but giggle and Remus rolled his eyes. He'd long known that I 'shipped' the pair of them together and was silently cheering Potter on in his endeavour of winning Lily's heart. We reached the carriage and Remus held the door open for me, letting me go in first. Sitting down beside one another, I looked around the carriage and noticed that we were one of the last prefects to arrive.

Once the prefects had all arrived, we settled down for the start of yet another mind numbingly boring prefects meeting. Or rather it was supposed to have been. But whilst Lily went over the list of duties of a prefect (which I'd memorised by now), I found myself watching the interactions between Potter and Lily. Potter was confident in his role as the head boy but frankly, the man was floundering. He had all the charm and charisma in the world but he had no idea what he was doing. Dumbledore had given the title of head boy away to one of the biggest troublemakers in the school and it flustered Lily.

This was going to be an interesting year.

By the time I had come out of my musings, I was handed a timetable of the patrols. Looking for my name on the schedule, I looked down at my partner's name and smiled, well at least I wasn't going to get stuck with Parkinson and his wandering hands. Nudging the boy beside me with my elbow, I smiled when he looked down at me.

"It looks like we're partners."

"It does," he said quietly, throwing a look a Potter who was too busy arguing with Lily to notice.

I frowned, shifting away from him slightly. My movement caught his attention and he looked back at me. "There's no need to sound so happy about it," I muttered sarcastically.

"No, I am happy," he assured me, giving me a genuine smile. "Really, I'm just annoyed that James has put us down for so many late-night patrols. "I frowned, scrunching my nose up slightly. I'd noticed that fact as well. Another thing I hated about being a prefect was getting stuck with late night patrols. These were the patrols that ended at almost 1 am and the castle was so bloody scary at that time in the night. But at least I'd have Remus by my side to scare anything off.

"Wait a minute," I said slowly, his words dawning on me. "You're saying that as if Potter controls the schedule."

"He does," Remus replied with evident confusion. "I thought you knew that - both he and Lily spent ages sorting it out."

I groaned in annoyance, "I'm going to kill that boy."

Remus snorted beside me. "By doing what exactly? Hugging him into oblivion."

I shot him a filthy look which only made him snigger even more.

Once the meeting came to a close, we started to patrol the train and Merlin, was it boring. Walking up and down the hallway, I was thankful that Remus was walking beside me. If I had been made to patrol on my own, then I might have burst into tears from the sheer boredom - that's how bad it was. But with him by my side, the time flew by as we talked and caught up with each other. Even once the train had pulled into the station and we had escorted the first years towards the boats, we stayed together and talked about anything and everything.

The first time we parted was during the feast. I returned to the Hufflepuff table and he made his way towards the Gryffindor one. Sliding in between Pari and Amaris, I smiled in greeted to the girls and the sorting started. Amaris shifted by my side, clearly desperate to say something, throughout the entire sorting. Once the sorting hand ended, we finally helped ourselves to some food.

"Set me up with Remus?" she asked quietly, making me stop halfway through ladling some soup into my bowl. My heart dropped into my stomach and I found that my appetite had shrunk. Pari stopped her movements beside me.