Greta was nodding at everything Apollo was saying, but her eyes looked glazed, as if she wasn't actually paying attention. Two faeries were whispering quietly to each other, and their eyes weren't even on the figure on the dais. The goblin in front of me had leaned his head back against the back of his chair, and I watched as his eyes drifted closed.

My hand clenched around a fistful of red hair. Why were they so unconcerned at what he was saying?

"And so I decided to come here with great haste to inform you all." Apollo finished. It was clear he hadn't missed how inattentive his audience was. His eyes were narrowed a fraction as he looked back at Greta.

"Mhmm." She plucked a hair off the front of her white robes. "I see."

When she didn't say anything else, Apollo cleared his throat. "What measures do you all believe need to be taken in this instance?" He raised his voice a little louder. The goblin opened his eyes.

"Well." Greta finally looked up at him. "I'm sorry to inform you, Apollo, but no measure needs to be taken in this instance."

I gaped at her, but Apollo was more composed. The smallest of frowns appeared on his face. "Oh?"

"We've had reports of other cases like yours in Ireland." Greta explained, crossing her legs casually as she looked up at him. Her taloned hands clacked against the crystal armrests of her chair. "A team from the Feloix Felaii Health Administration has been sent out there to investigate. Are there any klaae krens close to your home? Could that klaae man come from there?"

"Not that I know of." Apollo replied slowly. "Are you saying those cases are specific to klaae?"

Greta nodded, and I felt my heart thud in fear. Laen lived in the kren in Ireland. "No other magical party has reported symptoms of the same kind. Whatever it is, it targets klaae men and women."

"But wait." I said abruptly. Everyone whipped around to look at me. Even the faeries stopped whispering. I frowned back at them. "He seemed so sure that Apollo, Jannosh and I could contract it as well, like he'd seen it happen before. He was worried about infecting us."

"Dear girl." Greta smiled at me, but it was condescending. "This illness is in its first stages; there's no way he could have known that it would spread. Besides, I think we all know how dramatic klaae people are when it comes to their health." The members around her laughed unpleasantly. "He was probably just kindly looking out for your welfare."

I opened my mouth indignantly to argue back - how dare she make fun of the klaae! - but Apollo silenced me with a serious look. I slumped back in my chair, pouting.

"I see." Apollo's voice was perfectly polite. "Well, I apologize profusely for wasting your time."

"Not at all!" Greta beamed at him. "You are always welcome in the council chambers, Apollo. It was very good to see you." Her face was downright flirtatious.

I shot the back of her head a dirty look.

"Yes, well." Apollo smiled back vaguely. "Lilah and I will be on our way now."

The other council chambers murmured goodbyes as he walked briskly passed them, but Apollo kept his eyes on me. I got up hastily and took his outstretched hand, and Apollo marched us form the room. He was practically dragging me; I had to run a little bit to keep up with him.

When we were out in the great front lobby of the council chambers building, I finally saw a hint of the anger he had been holding back in the grand chamber. The green in his eyes was so hard they looked like marbles, and his lips were pressed into an unhappy, thin line. One of the many council people milling in the lobby called out to him, but he ignored them and brushed past roughly. I gawked at him; I'd never seen him act anything but polite, but now, he was being gruff.