And then she nearly dropped her cell phone, which would've resulted in yet another purchase of a new item due to it falling to the ground.

She'd been expecting Thomas, or even Rachel. Because really, who else was there to text her? Other than Chance, her brother and his wife were the only people who would send her a text message rather than simply calling her.

Except for one person.

3:13PM — York
Shawn?

She knew it was best for her to just let York go. She'd already stated how she felt about Shawn, and by continuing with her further, Shawn knew she was just going to experience even more heartbreak.

But there is something so intriguing and addictive about chasing after someone even when you've decided to stop running.

7:09PM — Shawn
Yes?

York's reply was almost instantaneous. As if she'd been waiting beside her phone for four hours, with the message already typed and thought through, and her thumb hovering over "send."

7:10PM — York
I haven't seen you at Starbucks much lately, nor have I heard from you. Is everything okay?

Shawn wasn't sure what to say. Was she to be completely honest and tell her that York had broken her heart by a meager rejection? Was she to approach it gently, or harshly?

She realized then that she wasn't even sure what she was truly feeling. She felt a swirling, nauseating mixture of emotions: disappointment, embarrassment, anger, sadness, regret.

Regret?

It was then that Shawn really began to feel sick. Her head became light, though her body still felt as if she'd just departed a roller coaster.

She didn't like thinking about regrets. Especially when it had to do with York.

This was one of those times where she experienced a severe desire to speak to York. Not to text her, or to write her a note, but to sit down at a table and discuss with her what was going on. But she couldn't, and reminding herself of that, she took a deep breath, realizing that maybe York's revelation was better. Like Shawn had said from the very beginning, this was complicated.

And Shawn wasn't so sure that she was up for the challenge anymore.

7:14PM — Shawn
I thought... I just thought I'd leave you alone.

7:15PM — York
Why?

7:16PM — Shawn
I thought that's what you wanted?

7:17PM — York
That's not what I want at all.

Shawn groaned in frustration. Distantly, Chance called out from her bedroom asking if she was alright. She didn't respond, because honestly, she wasn't sure.

7:17PM — Shawn
Okay... You're giving me whiplash here. What do you want?

Her hand stilled as several moments passed without a response. Shawn wondered why York chose today to discuss the absence of both her seemingly constant presence and text messages.

7:19PM — York
Come to your door.

Shawn's entire body flooded with an unnerving mixture of adrenaline and anxiety, and without a single second's hesitation, she turned the burner off, pushed herself off of the counter, and hustled towards the door.

There was no way. There was absolutely no way.

But when the door swung open, the rusted and meant to be replaced hinges squeaking in alarm, there she was.

Shawn didn't understand. And, reaching for a lonely notepad and pen that resided on the shelf next to the door from the last time she'd seen York, she struggled to even decipher what it was she wanted to ask first.

York stood as if her feet were glued to the ground. Her hip rested against the door frame, preventing Shawn from closing it. In her usual high-waisted denim jeans and a simple, grey t-shirt that fell to her mid-thighs, she was nothing but confident. It said so in the inviting smirk she wore. She knew the effect that she had on the girl in front of her, and she was using it to her advantage.

Shawn's eyes weren't even on the notepad as she scribbled on it. Her eyes didn't for a moment deter from York's, even while ripping the single sheet off of the pad and handing it to her.

You told me you weren't interested, which I took as a sign of wanting me to go away. Then again, that doesn't exactly make sense, since you gave me your number that day.

York nodded. And then she reached towards Shawn for the notepad and her pen, and Shawn felt a lump rise in her throat. She wasn't entirely sure why, though blamed it on sheer confusion. If not for York's warm, welcoming presence, she would've felt humiliated.

If this was anyone else, the lump would have swelled into something much more embarrassing.

I didn't mean it like that. I'm interested, Shawn—very much so. I just meant... Not that fast. I should've clarified, but I'm new to this. And it's going to be really difficult. I'm really difficult. I want you to understand that.

Shawn didn't think twice about her response.

How can I prove that I'm worth the difficulty?

York smiled at her then. It was a closed lip, tight smile, her eyes flashing with something enticing. It was her signature smile, one that Shawn had seen her give so many other people. But that thing, that look in her eyes, was something not only unknown, but captivating.

The way you prove that you're worth my difficulty it by dealing with the difficulty that I'll bring you.