Khazad and Quendi

Start from the beginning

"Gandalf the Grey," Daín said and Gandalf bowed his head in respect. That was good, he knew Gandalf and he seemed to respect him. Everyone liked Gandalf, at least those who were good, but they did not appreciate that he seemed to care about all the races of Middle-Earth. Gandalf defended Dwarves, Hobbits, Men and Elves. Races that did not always come to terms.

"Tell this rubble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood!"

"Now, there is no need for war between Dwarves, Men and Elves," Gandalf said. "A legion of Orcs are marching on the mountain. Stand your army down."

"I will not stand down for any Elf!" Daín exclaimed. "Not least this faithless woodland sprite!" He pointed his hammer toward Thranduíl who merely grinned at him. "He wishes nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head of him! See if he's still smirking then!"

Of course, he did not listen, he had completely ignored what Gandalf had said about the Orcs. Míriel's blood was boiling with anger and she wanted to rip all her hair out of her head since she was so frustrated. For some reason, no one wanted to believe that a greater threat was coming for them, and it was almost too late now to do anything.

"Daín!" Gandalf called after him as he rode away. Daín did not listen, though, as he rode on his swine toward his army to give them orders of what was going to happen next. Míriel stayed put and tried to understand what was going to face them. Soon blood would be spilt on these lands, and there was nothing that anyone could do about it anymore.

"Let them advance, see how far they get," Thranduíl said with confidence. Míriel was torn, she didn't want to see Thranduíl or any of her race hurt, but at the same time, she didn't want the Dwarves to be killed either. If she just stood there, would the Dwarves attack her too? Would she then have to kill Dwarves? Míriel didn't want to hurt anything that wasn't an Orc, a Goblin or a Troll.

"You think I give a dead dog's for your threats?" Daín bellowed and almost laughed at what Thranduíl had been saying. "You pointy-eared princess! You hear that lads! Let's give these bastards a good beating!"

It was those sort of things that made Míriel realise why men were so foolish. It didn't matter if they were Elves, Dwarves or Men, their pride always came first, and they wanted to prove themselves strong. Daín did nothing right by insulting Thranduíl and Thranduíl did worse by angering them. Míriel for a moment felt like a mother, one that was torn between two of her children fighting. She would have to remind herself later never to have more than one child.

"Stand your men down," Thranduíl said to Bard as they started marching closer to the Dwarves. "I'll deal with Iron Foot and his rambling."

Thranduíl had drawn his sword and he didn't need the Men to help with this fight. By the looks of it, the Elves would crush all the Dwarves easy. They had the advantage number wise, and they had skilled archers. Elves were better skilled and flexible, while the Dwarves were rougher and more rash with their weapons.

Míriel couldn't stay by and watch this, she had to do something. She would make this her last attempt to try and help everyone before she, unfortunately, had to pick a side. She turned to Thorin again and rode up to him so that he would be able to hear her. Míriel had not had a decent conversation with him since the Mirkwood dungeons. Thorin had announced her as his friend, and she knew he had started to care for her by then. All that seemed to be gone now.

"Thorin, do you truly feel that this is right?" Míriel called him and frowned. He turned to her and glared into her eyes, not seeming affected by what she said. He was as cold as Thranduíl could be, but without that wisdom that the Elf showed. "Fíli, Kíli? Balin, Dwalin? You know that this war is for something stupid! You gave them your word, Thorin, and you have let them down. Now you are willing to kill those who you promised to help, those whose homes have been destroyed because of you, just for some coins. And I know you loathe King Thranduíl, but he did give you an opportunity to get out of this in peace."