Chapter Two

Kuroo and I walk out of the playground. As I walk slightly behind him, heart still racing, we make our way to the gate that confines the playground when he stops, causing me to bump into him.

     "Ow, my nose..", I say in a quiet, childish voice. I hear Kuroo laugh, so I look up at him. "What's so funny?", my tone slightly irritated, but playful.

     He turns his head to look at me, and does that annoyingly addictive smirk and says, "has there ever been a day in your life that you didn't get hurt?"

     "Wha– both times I got hurt were because of you!!" He starts to laugh more this time, making my face turn pink. I shove him lightly and say, "let's just get going! Oh, and you're buying me food for putting me through so much pain!" I wink at him, do a cute little twirl away, and run out of the playground toward the right, where I wait for him to catch up underneath a tree.

     Kuroo smiles and walks up to me. "Okay," he says in a happily defeated voice, "I'll buy you whatever you want; just let me know." He pats my head, and messes up my hair some, making me smile.

     You know, I think to myself, I kind of really like the attention he's giving me. I'm pretty glad I suck at remembering addresses, and stuff!

     "Hey, Kuroo," I say excitedly, "it's hot today, so..buy me some ice cream!"

     "Fine, fine. I know a place, not too far from here, that sells great ice cream." Kuroo takes me by my hand and pulls me along to a cute little ice cream shop; it has bubbly letters on the window, and ornaments and decorations along the shop.

     I look inside the shop to see a crowd of people and pause, "Uh, could I wait out here and you order something for me? I say nervously and feel my face heat up.

     There is a short silence before he says, "You don't like big crowds, huh?"

     I look away from him, and give a small, sheepish laugh. "I'm not that bad at talking to people, but I don't really like being around too many of them.."

     "Hm.." Kuroo looks through the window, then looks at me with a suspicious looking grin. "Then", he puts his right hand on my lower back, pulling me close, and gently turns my face with his left hand, so that I'm looking up at him, "don't look at anyone but me. That way, you won't be scared."

     I knew it. Kuroo looks like a guy who's always up to no good, but he really is a nice guy. He's so selfless and kind. And..he's really warm..

     "But, on the off chance you still end up getting scared, grab my hand anytime you need to, okay?" He scratches the back of his head and chuckles after saying this.

     I unconsciously begin to smile, and let myself get comfortable with him. I've always been really shy, and I have a hard time being friends with people. By that, I mean 'once I make a friend, which is easy for me to do, I have a hard time keeping them.'

     Kuroo smiles at me and takes my hand, pulling me into the shop. "But I'm not scared yet", I say in a confused voice.

     "Don't worry about it; this is just in case you get scared once we're in there." He winks at me, and does the cute little grin.

     Oh, please. He totally just wanted to hold my hand! Whatever. Even if I didn't get scared, I probably would've acted like it so I could hold his hand, too.

     When we get inside, we walk up to stand in line to order. I can see a few people staring at us, saying things like "woah, that dude's so tall!", "he's pretty handsome, huh?", or "are they dating? The height difference makes it kind of weird, though." I don't really like when I have too much attention on me, so I scoot closer to Kuroo, tightening my grip on his hand, heart pounding like crazy.

     "Hey," Kuroo leans down and speaks quietly. "Don't think about everyone staring at us, think about what kind of ice cream you want." I look up at him, face beat red from all the comments and staring. "Or think about what toppings you want on it." He smiles down at me, trying to calm me down.

     "..toppings?" I say sarcastically, raising an eyebrow and smiling.

     "Yep. Toppings! You can get chocolates, gummies, cherries..what else do they have here?" He looks up at the menu by the front counter.

     For a few seconds, I just stare up at him in amazement. I'm over here freaking out, and he's worried about what toppings I want..? He really knows how to make someone forget all their problems.

     I start laughing, resulting in numerous looks from people around the shop. Kuroo looks down at me with surprise written all over his face.

     Before Kuroo can question me on why I was laughing, I pull him to the front counter. "Come on! It's our turn to order!", I say in a loud, excited voice.

     He stares at me, stunned, yet smiling. "You're so unpredictable, you know", he mutters quietly, adding a little chuckle at the end.

     No matter how low you speak, I'm right under you..I can still hear you. I smile softly, then tell Kuroo to order while I decide on what I want.

     When Kuroo's done ordering, I give the man my order. "I want..cotton candy ice cream!! And, and!! I want gummy bears, and sprinkles!! And lots of whipped cream!!" I basically yell my order to the poor guy, gaining back shocked and disgusted looks from the customers.

     The man says in a frightened voice, "w-would you like that in a cone or a bowl?"

     I nearly jump in the air when I hear this. "I get an option?! Kuroo, I love this place!! I want a bowl; a big, big bowl!!"

     I feel bad for this dude. He looks so scared right now. Maybe I should calm down some? ...nah, this is funny.

     We get our ice cream and sit down at a table in the corner. It's a booth that fits four people, has burgundy colored seats, and the table is silver. It kind of reminds me of something from the 70s; I think it's cute, though.

     "Since we're here," Kuroo begins, bringing my attention to him, "why'd you move here, anyway?"

     I play with my gummy bears, mixing them into my ice cream before answering. "My dad got a job offer here. He said it seemed good, better than his job from before, so he took it. As a kid who just graduated middle school, I don't really have much room to object. Besides, I still hadn't picked a high school to go to, so moving here was a decent idea. I don't know where my house is, but I know it's pretty close to some high school. I can't remember the name of it, though.."

     I rest my left arm on the table with my chin in my hand. I stare at my ice cream, still playing with it, trying to remember the name.

     "By any chance, is the name of it Nekoma?", Kuroo says with a questioning look on his face.

     "Ah! It is!! Jeez, with a name like that, how could I forget?" I playfully bop myself on the head and giggle. "Hey, how'd you know the name of it?"

     He smiles gently, and says "once summer ends, I'll be starting high school there."