Chapter 13. Just A Girl*

Start from the beginning

"Hi Liz," Evan greeted.

"Hello, Dr. Whitman, come on in." The gray haired woman said as she shuffled files on her desk and moved a cup of coffee off to the side. "What can we do for you this morning? You didn't say much when you called."

"Yeah, I know. Is Dr. Smith in? I was hoping I could talk to you both at the same time. I only want to tell this story once." Evan already felt ashamed of what she had to say, although she knew she was not at any fault in the incident. How was it that such an incident could make the innocent feel guilty?

"Yes, he's here. Is everything alright?" The elderly woman looked concerned. When Evan shrugged, the other woman called back to Dr. Smith's office.

"Let's go back to his office now. He is not busy at the moment." Liz reached out to Evan and gestured for her to come with her.

Evan followed Liz into her old mentor's office. She was embarrassed to tell them what had happened, but she just needed to get it over with.

"Evan, what brings you into my office this morning? You look terrible, dear," the older doctor said affectionately. He had been her preceptor and friend while Evan was in training.

"Dr. Smith, I need to report an incident that happened yesterday."

"Okay, tell me what has got you so upset."

"It involves Matt Thomas, the third year resident on the Emergency Service. I need to file a sexual harassment complaint against him," Evan said, taking a deep breath and letting the words out in a rush.

"What did he do? He is awfully full of himself, isn't he," Dr. Smith said, shaking his head.

Evan recounted the incident from the previous morning, noting the same hardness steal into Dr. Smith's eyes as Emil's had the day before.

"That son of a bitch!" Dr. Smith growled when she finished telling about what Dr. Thomas had done to her. "Are you okay? He didn't end up hurting you did he?"

Dr. Smith was half out of his chair ready to examine her himself.

"No, like I said, my friend happened to step in at just the right moment, and I wasn't hurt. I am so thankful that he was there. He showed up out of nowhere." Evan was feeling some relief at having told someone about her ordeal, the pent up anticipation of sharing it finally releasing its grip on her nerves.

"Well, that young idiot is finished in this hospital. I will personally see to it that he is removed from this program. He will be grateful for the opportunity to work in a third world country when I am done with him."

"Oh no, Dr. Smith. Don't make him mad! At least not more than necessary. I just don't want anyone else to suffer from what he has done to me." Evan was becoming worried about the repercussions of what she had told Dr. Smith.

"Evan, I think you should report him to the police. The ass doesn't have any idea what he is up against if he thinks he can treat women like that."

"No, Dr. Smith. Just do whatever you have to do to stop him from doing it again here. He surely will get the message. I don't want to take away his career." Evan wanted out of the office and jumped up from her wooden chair. She didn't want to talk about it anymore. She was done with it and wanted it out of her mind.

"Well, just remember what I said. You won't have to worry about him here again. He will be gone before you come back from your days off." Dr. Smith rose and leaned forward and kissed Evan gently on the cheek, like a grandfather would do.

She patted his arm and said, "I need to go check on one of my patients, the boy that was missing from the other night. I want to see how he is healing. You know, my friend Emil that saved me yesterday? He saved the little boy too."