Chapter 3- So Suddenly

One extra gloomy day, when dark clouds swarmed the sky, Roxane woke in the four-poster bed. She looked down at Mother, who's brunette hair was scraggly and who's nightie was dirty. Suddenly, Roxane heard a loud crash. She ran towards the small window and peered out of it. Unfortunately, big lumps of dirt and dust were being blown into it by the wind and Roxane couldn't see a thing. Roxane could suddenly hear big gusts of wind being blown around outside. The dust and dirt continued to blow into the window, clogging it up. SMASH! The window crashed apart and fell onto the oak wood floor, along with all the dust and dirt. Very strong wind blew against Roxane and she stumbled backwards, falling onto Mother. She shielded her face and screamed "MOTHER!" She shrieked. Mother woke with a start and jumped up. "ROXANE, THIS ISN'T JUST WIND, IT'S A TORNADO!" Mother warned. "A TORNADO?'" Roxane gasped. The little cottage would never survive with it's crumbling walls and straw roof. "THE ANIMALS!" She suddenly gasped and pulled on her brown boots from the bedside. "ROXANE, YOU CAN'T GO OUT THERE!" Mother demanded, but Roxane was gone. Roxane pulled on the door handle, yanking it and struggling. Finally, it opened, letting in a lot more dust and dirt! She shielded her face as best as she could from the flying glass and wood chips that met her, blowing in the horrendous wind. She could see the chicken pen shaking and wobbling and the chickens clucking and flapping about inside. Her little chicken, Sandy, was in the centre of the huddle. With every step towards them, Roxane's leg would swing back as the wind battled her. Then she saw it, large and clear, dusty and gloomy, the tornado. It wasn't far from the farm and Roxane wasn't moving quick enough. She had reached the chicken pen when it got so close. She knew she had to run, leave the animals to die. But she couldn't leave her only responsibility. Sandy was like a child to her. Her only friend, her only responsibility. She fiddled with the lock desperately, opened the cage and reached out her arms. Just as she grasped Sandy, the pen rose up into the air, Roxane jumped downwards and ran, Sandy clasped in her cold hands. As she ran, glass ripped her face. She dared turn her head to look. It was too close, and she was too slow. Roxane knew she wouldn't make it and dropped to the floor, still shielding the little golden chicken. She sobbed into her delicate feathers as she felt a piece of metal whack her hard on the head.