Helping Him Move On (George Weasley)

Start from the beginning

Squatting down beside us, he looked at George with sad eyes, "When did he fall asleep?"

"A little while ago," I said removing myself from around George who, as if sensing my movement, let out a slight moan of protest.

Charlie moved forward to pick up George, obviously not wanting to wake him up. He kneeled in front of George and I helped him manoeuvre George onto his back. Reaching his arms round to steady George on his back, Charlie rose to his feet.

"I should take him to mum," Charlie said, "She's waiting in the great hall."

"Alright."

He walked down the stairs and paused halfway, turning to look back at me, "How are you holding up?"

"I'm ok," I said quietly. I would have to be.

**********

A few weeks had passed since the battle of Hogwarts and I was struggling to return to the life I lived before it had happened. I had lost so much in the space of a day and it was as if I was suffering from a loss of motivation regarding work and other aspects of my life.

I was returning from work when I spotted an owl flying outside of the window, waiting for me. Opening the window, I recognised the owl instantly. Pig?

Once I had given Pig an owl treat, he flew away before I could even open the letter. Opening the envelope, I scanned the letter quickly and once I had reached the end of it, I walked over towards my fireplace. Grabbing a handful of floo powder, I headed for the burrow.

Arriving at the burrow, I dusted some of the soot off of my clothes and took my coat off. Setting my coat on the back of one of the sofas, I listened for the sound of someone but it seemed like everyone was still at work. Hearing small sounds of movement from the kitchen I walked into the kitchen to see Molly busy at work.

"Molly?"

At the sound of my voice, Molly glanced back at me and ushered me into the kitchen to sit down. "I'm glass you're here, I didn't know if you'd get the letter in time or not."

"Your letter said that you wanted my help," I said looking up at the older woman who had made me a cup of tea. Taking the mug from Molly I watched her sit opposite me. "But I don't understand what it is that you want me to do Molly."

"I explained to you in the letter what he's been acting like, didn't I?" At my nod she let out a deep sigh, "We've all tried dear, but he's unreachable. Maybe you could just talk to him."

I raised the mug to my lips and looked at the older witch. "If none of you could help him then what makes you think I could help? Not that I'm not willing to help, that is."

"When I went up to give him some food, he asked for you. He hasn't seen you since that day." Molly looked up at me, her eyes pleading desperately with me. This woman in front of me, this mother lion who had already lose one son, wouldn't survive losing another. "Will you do it?"

"Of course, I'll try my best."

Reaching over the table to put a hand on top of mine, she beamed at me. "Thank you."

When I had finished my tea, I rose to my feet and slowly made my way through the burrow. Pausing outside the twin's old room, I knocked on the door once and waited for a response. There was none. Pushing the door open I stepped into the room and watched him carefully.

Approaching Fred's old bed, I sat beside the sleeping boy. Brushing some of his hair away from his face I went to rise to my feet. I'd come back again later. Taking a step away from the bed, I froze when a hand took a hold of my own. Looking over my shoulder I saw him blink sleepily up at me.