"Ohh, Ms. Mercury has a date tonight," Dylan teased, raising his brows up and down suggestively. "Make sure he wraps it up, we don't want you kicked off the team because you got knocked up."

"Dixon, shut the fuck up," Niall spat, speaking for the first time.

Before I could respond, someone was slipping their hand into the front pocket of my black apron. I looked up and saw Eli grinning slyly at me before he removed his hand. "See ya tonight, yeah?"

"Maybe," I responded with a grin.

I watched him as he and his bandmates left the bar. Once the door closed, I dug into the pocket and took out the tip Eli left for me and grinned. Someone cleared their throat and my focus went back to the players in front of me.

"Like I said," Dylan began, seriousness in his eyes. "Stay safe."

The rest of the day went as it normally did. My teammates stayed for about an hour chatting with each other and drinking pints. I was offered to join then, but I made up the excuse that I was too busy working even though I just didn't want to be forced to look at Niall.

I was being petty about the whole essay thing, but it wasn't like Niall was making much effort to change things, either. I would apologize to him right after he said sorry to me. He was the one who started the ordeal anyways.

By six thirty, I was pulling on my coat and heading out the front door. But I didn't get very far before someone shouted my name.

"Oh, now you're talking to me?" I asked once I saw who it was.

Niall quickly caught up and stopped in front of me. His hair was messy and his eyes were sad and tired. I almost asked him why he looked so bad, but then I remembered that I was supposed to be mad at him, and therefore not care.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't important," he assured me.

"What was that?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "I really can't understand you with that Irish twang of yours."

"I stayed back to warn you, Lynn," he said, ignoring my taunt. He stuffed his hands in his coat pocket. "That lad, Eli, is bad news. You should really think about not going out with him."

"You can't tell me what to do."

Niall's jaw twitched in frustration. "I'm not kidding. I hear stories about him all the time and they're never good. He takes advantage of woman and likes to play games."

"So, kind of like you?"

The hurt in his eyes made me want to take what I said back. I could see that Niall wanted to argue that statement and I was almost disappointed that he didn't. He obviously didn't see the need to argue on the losing side.

"I just don't want you to get hurt."

I shook my head slowly in disbelief. My blood was boiling now and I was losing my control to keep calm.

"I don't understand why you care so much one moment and then treat me like dirt the next," I said. "I don't get how someone could be so conflicting! Just tell me why, Niall. Tell me why you care so much about my wellbeing. It has more to do than that girl from your past."

Niall just stared at me. I saw his jaw clench and unclench, the internal struggle in his head beating him up. But I didn't stay long enough for him to figure out his shit. I brushed passed him and walked away.