“Nothing has gotten into me. I can’t smile at you?” he asks, amusement playing in his voice. “Excuse me for being happy.”

 “You’re normally not this happy, though,” she counters. “Something is usually bothering you.”

 He shrugs. “I don’t know.”

 “Is it because-”

 “It’s because of you,” he says, cutting her off before she gets the wrong idea. “You make me happy.”

 She smiles at him and kisses him. “Alright, fine. Let’s go, I’m hungry.”

 He chuckles and kisses her forehead before he pulls away from her to grab his wallet, keys and phone. She goes off to grab a small bag and her phone and then they leave the room. 

                                                                                                               ***

“It’s really nice of you to keep my updates on your whereabouts.”

 AJ rolls her eyes at her brother lecturing her over the phone as Zayn sits across from her in the small diner, wasting the straws in the dispenser to build a tower. She smiles at him and he winks at her, continuing his childlike play. 

 “Seriously, you could call me or mom for that matter. She’s worried sick.”

 AJ sighs into the phone. “I called her yesterday and told her what happened. And honestly, Andy, I never know where the hell you are, so you can't even tell me anything.”

 She can practically hear his eyes rolling at her comment. “Don't even start because I always tell you where I am when I can.”

 “I'm your sister, you should always be able to tell me.”

 “Yeah, yeah.” 

AJ rolls her eyes and Zayn chuckles, taking a sip of his orange juice. “So anyway,” she drags out, “Zayn told me you have a new girlfriend.”

 “You could say that,” he says casually.

 “Well? What's she like?”

 “I don't know. She's like my girlfriend. She's cool, I guess.” The humor in his voice is profuse as he chuckles at the end. “She hot and nice, so ya know.”

 AJ laughs to herself. “Is she there with you?” 

 “Yeah, she's sitting right here. She keeps bugging me about meeting you.”

 “That is such a lie!” A female voice shouts. She can hear Andy laughing and ruffling in the background. “Your brother is a liar,” the voice says into the phone. 

 AJ smiles. “Tell me something I don't know.”

 “You seem sweet. I would love to meet you, but he's the one who keeps insisting that I meet you and your mom. Oh! And your boyfriend, too.”

 “My fiancé,” she corrects.

 “Fiancé? Aww! Congratulations!” She says happily.

 “Who has a fiancé?” Andy's voice asks. 

 “Your sister!”

 “What the hell? She didn't tell me that! Give me the phone, babe.”

 AJ looks across the table at Zayn. “You didn't tell him we were engaged when you picked up my things?” She asks. He shakes his head. “Why not?”