04: Forgive My Sin

04: Forgive My Sin

“I haven’t seen you in forever!” AJ exclaims as she hugs her high school friend.

He rolls his eyes and squeezes her back. “It hasn’t been that long; just a few years.”

She smiles at him. “I’ve missed you Aston,” she tells him. She takes a step back from him to look over his appearance. “I see you haven’t changed a bit,” she points out, looking over his skinny jeans, t-shirt and beanie.

He grins. “Actually, I got a couple more tattoos,” he says.

She laughs. “Whatever. You look good.”

He smirks and winks at her. “Thanks. You look pretty good yourself.”

She rolls her eyes at him. “So what brings you here?” she asks as she walks behind the counter of the small ice-cream shop. Zayn had convinced her to get a job and save her money to pay for college, since she refused to take him money.

He shrugged. “I felt like having ice cream and I live around the corner, so I thought, why not?”

“Really?” she asks.

He nods. “Plus, my sister was pissing me off. God, teenagers suck.”

AJ laughs. “She can’t be that bad.”

Aston groans. “She’s a little brat. I liked her better when she was ten. She looked up to me and kept her mouth shut.”

“Then why don’t you move out?” she asks. “Isn’t it time to leave the nest?” she teases.

“I don’t live with my parents anymore,” he tells her. “I moved out after graduation. Trust me, I couldn’t stand to live there another second.”

“So then why does your sister live with you?” AJ asks, slightly confused. You’d think his little sister would be living with his parents and not her older, barely matured brother.

“Nah,” he says, with a shrug. “They split about a two years ago. They couldn’t come to a custody agreement so I took her in.”

AJ smiles at him. “That’s sweet of you, Aston.”

He chuckles. “She’s my sister, I kind of had no choice.”

“Well, still,” AJ insists. “So are you going to order something? Because I’m technically not suppose to be socializing on the job.”

“I’ll have a chocolate swirly thing,” he says, pointing to the soft serve machine behind the counter.

“Swirly thing, really?”

Aston grins at her. “Yes, please. Make that two. I might as well get one for the little one.”

She smiles at him and grabs two cups. “Aren’t you a good big brother.”

“Shut up, I’m not proud of it,” he jokes.

AJ laughs to herself as she fills up the cups with soft serve. “Okay, Aston. Whatever you say.”

He chuckles. “I want sprinkles,” he tells her, grinning.

“Are you four?” she asks sarcastically.

“Twenty two actually,” he smirks.

“Funny,” she tells him. “On both?”

“Just one,” he says, fishing two spoons out of the containers by the register.

She nods and returns with his ice cream, one covered in color sugar. She places them on the counter and puts his order into the cash register. “That’ll be eight,” she tells him.