Chapter Fifteen

guys i was so excited to upload so i just decided to upload a surprise chapter :) >>>> there's Grace :) i hope you like it!! :D ENJOY <3

            I quietly walked into my house and closed the front door behind me. It was still the early afternoon, so I doubted my dad was home right now. Brandon showed up in the doorway of the kitchen. I dropped my bag and walked over to hug him. He was a junior in high school right now, yet he was taller than I was with very broad shoulders.

            “How have you been?” I asked, pulling back and putting my hands on his arms. “Oh my god,” I noticed his black eye. “What happened?”

            “I took it too far with Dad one night,” he replied with a sigh. My jaw dropped. I lightly touched it but he pushed my hand away. “I’m fine, Grace.”

            “He punched you?” I asked, tilting my head.

            “Yeah, basically,” he replied. “That was it, though. Just a punch. I ran upstairs after that.”

            I exhaled and shook my head. I walked into the kitchen.

            “Where have you been? School?”

            “No, I was at my boyfriend’s house. He invited me to stay, so I’m going to go back after Christmas.”

            “You have a boyfriend?” Brandon asked.

            “Why do you sound so surprised?”

            “Well because you never used to talk to boys.”

            “I used to talk to boys,” I mumbled, looking into the refrigerator and grabbed the bottle of orange juice. I poured myself a glass. “Whatever, it doesn’t matter. What’s been going on? I need details. Who were these people?”

            “All they said was that someone called the police on our dad. They don’t know who yet, they’re trying to trace the phone call. They said that they’d be back this afternoon.”

            “When was the last time they came?” I asked.

            “Yesterday afternoon. Dad was at work still.” Brandon looked at the clock. “We still have time before he gets home.”

            “I saw Mom,” I told him, “she came to my school around a month ago. She offered to take me on vacation with her, but I told her no.”

            “Why’d you say no?” Brandon asked, widening his eyes.

            “Brandon, she left us. She can’t just come back and think I’ll go running into her arms like nothing happened. There was no way in hell I was getting on a plane with a woman who I barely even know.”

            My brother exhaled and leaned back against the counter.

            “Who do you think called the police?” I asked, boosting myself up onto the counter.

            “I have no idea. But they don’t have solid evidence for whatever they’re accusing him of doing.”

            “Brandon, we alone have enough evidence to get him arrested for the rest of his life. Remember the grits?”

            “He still has them,” Brandon said.

            “He does not,” I replied in disbelief. Brandon opened an all too familiar cabinet door and reached into the back for the old, worn out cardboard box of grits. I shivered, thinking back to the many memories…