Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

And you hate it. 

Mrs Langford turned off onto the stretch of road leading up to Kieran's drive. My stomach was knotted and I was almost certain I was about to expel my breakfast onto Mrs Langford's dashboard.

I wondered if Kieran was even there. Mr. Indigo himself might have been away in Australia for all I knew, counselling some lost soul about their future on Earth or in the next life. The sense I usually had of him being near had all but abandoned me and I hoped, more than anything, that only meant he way away rather than something far more heart breaking. 

The car rolled steadily to a stop in front of Kieran's driveway.

"This one?" Mrs Langford asked, peering down the long drive.

"Yes but you can just drop me here. Thank you for the lift," I said, hands wringing the handle of the picnic basket.

"No bother lass. Do you need me to pick you up later, its no trouble." There was such a friendliness in even just the crow's feet by Mrs Langford's eyes. She reminded me of my gran. I smiled, sincerely despite the troubling clench of my stomach. 

"I'll be fine Mrs Langford but I appreciate it, truly." 

I had wild hopes that this picnic might win me my boyfriend back and who knows what might happen to time then?  

For you Evans, time won't stop for nothing. 

"Well enjoy your picnic Chris, there is really nothing like young love." Mrs Langford grinned, a reminiscent glow about her.  I opened the car door and said goodbye. As the car pulled away in the direction it had come, I stood in the shadow of the gateway assessing the path before me. 

You can do this. 

I walked down the drive beneath the canopy of an arched trees. All I needed was a red cape and I was right out of a fairytale, strolling through an enchanted forest of fantastical creatures. 

Yeah, like the Indigos. 

The manner house appeared through the trees, its stone facade giving nothing away as to the people sheltered within it. My hand tightened on the picnic basket as I hesitated. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, tousled by the breeze. Had the house been this imposing the last time? 

I slowly approached the stairs, wondering if it had been such a good idea just appearing on the doorstep, spontaneity perhaps not so romantic to the other Indigos that lay inside.  One foot in front of the other I went up the front stairs, the birds singing in the trees the only sound to break the silence. Faced with the door I raised my knuckle, practicing knocking once or twice before I plucked up the courage to announce myself. 

I waited then, staring at my feet. I prayed it would be Kieran or Jessica, or even Mack but I would know I was cursed if I came face to face with Anya or Sophia. The door creaked open, the indigo eyes that met mine wide and intrigue. The smile spread slowly but surely across her pale face, her striking blonde, curly hair her well suited halo.

"Hi," I said before being yanked inside without ceremony. In her other hand Andrea had a book, one of her fingers keeping her place but she seemed nothing less than pleased to have been interrupted. Andrea tugged me powerfully towards the first door to a large reception room, noticeably absent of Kieran. 

The modern, sprawling corner couch was occupied by a snoring giant. Mack was face down on the couch, drooling a little and looking unexpectedly cute.  There was a spitting fire inside the ornate fireplace on the opposite wall, a curious sight in the middle of summer, even in Scotland. 

But with Andrea's hand still in my own, her natural chill explained all there was to explain about the unseasonable fire. The mischievous Indigo had her foot raised, prodding Mack in the shoulder. He jolted awake, spluttering.