Chapter Six

Leo Had finally got Lila to wake up. "Did she have a weird dream like he had?" Leo wondered. He thought back to his dream.
He was in his room and had just woken up. "Odd, this looks like... No. No, no, no." Leo panicked when he realized he was in his room and how it looked. It looked like it did the day before his mother had been murdered. Tidy and nothing out of place, but that was before his father thrashed his room apart in attempt to catch Leo.
Suddenly his father came in screaming about how Leo screwed his life up by breathing.
"You ungrateful little brat. How dare you sleep right now? I work and waste money on feeding you, all you do is sit on your...." Growling, he pauses. "Get out of bed and get to work! You know I hate slackers! No more sleeping in!" Leo sat up and looked at the clock, it was 7:49 in the morning. About the time he'd be heading to his bus stop on a week day. "Hurry up!" He's father spit.
"Yes sir." Leo said clearly as possible. His father hated mumbling and he would usually be punished for it. "What would you like me to do first, sir?"
"Clean this house, It's a mess! That includes the yards, the roof, walls and don't stop until everything is spotless!"
"Yes, sir." Leo stated monotonously.
"Get to work! Your excused." Leo's father replied and with that he left Leo. Leo got to work immediately, he knew what would happen if he didn't. He started off with his room, he made his bed, then he swept and mopped all the floors. He never had to clean much because he always started he's day like this one.
Two hours later he had finished cleaning the house and was starting to work on the roof, he swept the roof and cleared the gudders. Then finished his work by raking and pulling the the weeds out of the yards.
By then it was already one in the afternoon. He found he's father in front of the TV with beer cans all around his armchair and the coffee table.
"Aren't you going to clean this mess up instead of just standing right there with a stupid look on your face?!" Leo's father demanded, then began mumbling about wishing he finished the job before I was born.
Leo quickly picked up the beer cans and grabbed his father more alcohol before he started screaming again. " Now get out of here! I don't want to see you until dinner!"

"Yes, sir." Leo said clearly.

"Now go to your room!" Leo quickly went to his room, and just as he sat down at his desk with one of his favorite book "Looking For Alaska by John Green", he heard his mom come through the front door.

"Hey honey, do you need anything?"

"Make me dinner, and while your at it go get me another beer." Leo's father growled.

"Okay.... Um, what would you like?" Leo's mother replied timidly.

"YOUR THE WOMAN YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT TO MAKE FOR DINNER! NOW TAKE YOUR PLACE AND GO MAKE ME DINNER." Leo's father bellowed

"Yes, of course. I'm sorry honey." Leo's mother responded, sounded like she was going to cry.

An hour later his father started to scream about how they're short on money and how Leo's mother was just going to have to get another job.

"But honey... I already have a six hour night shift and a 4 hour shift before that. how am I supposed sleep?"

"SLEEP? YOU DO WHAT I TELL YOU! WE NEED THE MONEY AND SO YOUR GOING TO WORK WEATHER NOT THAT MEANS YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING BUT WORK! YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!? HOW DARE YOU EVEN SAY A WORD AGAINST ME!?!" Leo heard a loud smacking sound and his mother cry out in pain. "NOW GET UP!"

For several minutes he heard his mother getting smacked around, but he was scared and didn't know what to do but cry in his room. Then he heard his father say "WHERE IS LEO? WE SHOULD BE EATING DINNER ABOUT NOW." Leo quickly went to his father, but when he saw the condition of his mother he about lost it. Her eye was swollen and a deep purple color that spread down her cheek and to the side of her face. Her bottom lip was bloodied with not only the blood from the gash on her lip, but from her nose which was gushing blood that very moment.

"Why do you do this to her? How? She your wife, don't you love her?" Leo said this so calmly that even her didn't quite understand how he wasn't screaming, but at the same time he did. He didn't want to be like his father, and screaming and yelling about everything that upset him.

"Because she deserves it, she nothing but a useless piece of garbage. She knows it too, I only married her because that's the only way I could get into her pants, then she got pregnant. How was I supposed to leave her after that? She wouldn't get an abortion, and no matter how many times I slapped her around she didn't listen. It's all your fault, and you know what? You'll never be more than another worthless piece of garbage just like your mother." As Leo's father said this he got closer and closer to Leo.

"No what father?" Leo seethed "You're just a piece of shit father who can't get off his lazy ass and get a job, that gets off on beating his wife and child. I've had enough of you and dealing with your abuse. I'm calling the cops on you."

"THE HELL YOU ARE?! I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG. ALL I'VE DONE WAS PUT A WOMAN IN HER PLACE. HOW A LITTLE BOY LIKE YOU GOING TO STAND UP TO A MAN LIKE ME?" Leo's father stood over him cracking his knuckles.

"You're NO man, you're just a little boy hiding behind his fists and BIG voice." Leo squared up ready to take on his father for the first and last time, but just as his father was going to make a blow to Leo's face, Leo's mother shouted.

"NO! DON'T TOUCH MY BOY!"

Leo's father had had enough of the rebellion in his family. He quickly turned around and throw his wife to the floor, he punched her in the skull, then the chest knocking all the air from her chest. Then he made a blow to Leo's mother that changed his life forever. Leo watched in terror as his mom fell to the floor lifeless when she got hit on the side of her chin with enough force to break her neck. Leo's father got up and looked at Leo.

"See what happens when you defy me? Now, if you call the cops they'll arrest you, because this is all your fault. If you hadn't opened your mouth then everything would have been okay, but YOU KILLED YOUR MOTHER."

Leo never forgot those words. He never did call the police, but they're neighbor did. Unfortunately Leo's father covered up what happened and told the police offices that they were having a family augment and she had left earlier that day. He told they he had no idea where his wife went and that he was worried sick.

They never found the body.

She was declared dead a year later.

Leo's father was soon after reported to the child protective services and had Leo taken away. Leo went to many families before he decided that he was ready to let a family keep him, but just as Leo fell asleep when he decided on that, he woke up in his room on that same day his mother was murdered.

"No, this is a dream. This can't be real, this already happened!" Leo began to panic. Leo heard his father coming, but Leo got up quickly and ran out the door before he could get to his room. He kept on shouting "This is not real, this is NOT real! This already happened!"

Suddenly Leo's eyes opened, and he looked over and saw Lila with tears steaming down her face as she slept. "Oh, no. she's going to be eaten by the forest. We should have listened to the dragon."

They we both tangled in vines and roots. Leo struggled to free himself. He finally broke free after what seemed like took him days. He quickly was able to untangle Lila. Then he began to shake her awake."Lila wake up, you need to wake up!"

Lila opened her eyes in confusion. "What's going on?"