Chapter 4

She finished her mouthful of dry cat food from the bag they had clawed open. It was almost like it was their mother's final gift. After all, she is the one who had dragged it down. Her heart ached as she looked over to where Joker and her had covered their mother with branches from a tree that had been reduced to splinters. The storm had taken so much.
Joker yawned. "We should leave tomorrow morning," he whimpered. "We need rest and food before we leave her." With a forlorn glance, he looked at his lifeless mother.
Sparky moved closer to him, giving him a lick on the head. "We sleep with her one last time," she whispered, her voice cracking but no tears came. She felt like she had cried them all away.
"One last time," he echoed.
•~•~•~•~• Time has passed •~•~•~•~•
Sparky was nudged awake by Joker. His paw prodded into her side a few more times. "Sparky, we have to go!" It was the fear laced in his voice that jolted her awake.
"What?" She asked groggily.
"I heard dogs so I looked outside and they're everywhere! We gotta eat and go somewhere where we belong. Hurry!" Joker wailed.
Sparky nodded. "Eat. Fast."
The two kits gulped down their food, which was delicious to their grumbling bellies. Soon, they were on their way to leave.
Sparky looked back at the house she knew she would never see again. At her mother, the cat she would never meet again. At the life she would know no longer.