[ C h a p t e r - 1 3 & 1 4: J o n a h ' s - P e r s p e c t i v e ]

Start from the beginning

~~~

I heard a loud knocking on my door as I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I heard my aunt’s voice calling me. “Jonah! Wake up, you lazy bum!”

I groaned. “I’m awake.”

“Good, West is complaining about not being able to open his gifts yet. Be downstairs in ten minutes,” she replied and I frowned before I got up and walked to the bathroom.

I’ve never been so grateful for warmth. Last night, we were stuck outside for twenty minutes because I couldn’t find my keys. Turns out, they were in the back pocket of my pants.

The twins had gotten the worst of it though, unlike me, they didn’t have jackets. I was only slightly cold in mine but they were shivering and their teeth were chattering. I wonder if they’re okay.

As I finished up my morning routine, I walked downstairs to hear Weston’s cheer. “Finally!”

I smiled and walked over to the Christmas tree where my aunt, uncle, cousins, and sisters sat with smiles on their faces. Well, the twins didn’t have smiles on their faces. They had scowls and blankets wrapped around them. I guess they’d gotten sick. It’s not my fault they didn’t bring jackets. I averted my gaze from my sisters, who were glaring at me, to the main decoration of the living room- the tree that took three and a half hours to decorate. It was big and it had a few gifts under it.

“Open our gifts first,” the twins muttered unenthusiastically. Rather than arguing, we all reached for the purple presents.

I opened the present and smiled widely. “Thank you,” I grinned at the new book series. “I’m going to start it today.”

~~~

Opening gifts went well…I’d received a new pair of shoes, some video games, a few new memory cards, a new headset for my XBOX 360, and another few months of membership for my XBOX.

I was sitting in my room, reading the books that the twins had purchased for me when my phone rang. I stared at the caller ID for a minute before answering it. “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas! Now, are you still coming to the Christmas Party?” Jeremiah asked, quickly getting to the point.

I laughed. “Of course,” I replied. “But my sisters can’t.”

“Why not?” Jeremiah asked.

“They’re sick,” I stated and he made a sound of understanding. “Anyway, I’ll be there.”

“Good. I’ll see you,” he responded before I looked at the clock. It was 5:00 PM and the party was at 7. I’d need an hour to drive there so I might as well get ready now.

After showering and dressing in a red button down and black jeans, I shook my hair like a dog. It wasn’t exactly drying it, but it was fun. I grabbed my jacket and keys before I went to exit the room but I remembered Savannah’s gift. I’d spent days trying to find someone to make the hat out of the material and finally I found someone. It took a while but it came out very nice, so I’m glad.

I grabbed the bag in my hands and walked out of my room. My aunt smirked at me. “Where are you going?”

I looked at her with a smile. “To Savannah’s house, remember?” I asked her and she nodded before lifting up a bag. I felt my stomach lurch.

“Without your pretty new sweater?” She asked me. She bought me a Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer sweater and expects me to wear it for every Christmas occasion that I attend. I laughed sheepishly before taking the bag.

“Of course not,” I exited the house and got into my car, stuffing the bag deep under the seats. I let out a sigh of relief. Hopefully nobody finds that.