Chapter Four

A Merry Band of Bandits

Uploaded 17 December, 2011

Copyright 2011 SamRider

Chapter Four

Robin decided that they'd follow the soldiers later. After all, they children were tired and the soldiers would have to camp out eventually. The trail of broken leaves stamped by horses would be easy enough to follow.

In the morning, Joey shook Robin awake.

"I need to talk to you," He whispered. "Somewhere... Not here."

He took her by the wrist and led her some twenty meters away, behind a large tree.

Joey ran a hand through his caked hair. The mud was a stupid idea, but he'd been so desperate he'd have dived into the river if he'd had to. He heaved a sigh, staring intently into Robin's blue eyes.

"Look," He said. "I haven't been completely honest with you." Robin opened her mouth to say something, but Joey cut her off.

"I know you say it doesn't matter but I have to tell you one thing; I'm not who you think I am and it's not something you'd be proud of. I've known you and your friends for a grand total of two days, but I already care about you. All of you."

He paused, then grabbed her hand. "My position is going to endanger all of you. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that man was looking for me last night. I'm going to leave, because I don't want to hurt you. Any of you."

His eyes pleaded with her to understand, but Robin just shook her head adamantly. "Nonsense." She said, pulling her hand from his and crossing her arms. "You need protection and we're here to give it to you. I don't know who you are, Joey, and frankly, I don't care. If you want to keep your secrets, it's not my business. But I'm not letting you leave." She stared at his matted hair, contemplating. "I've got a little money. We'll go to the nearest town, get some breakfast for the little ones, and buy you some brown dye. If we can't find any, we'll use ink. That should do the trick." She turned around and traipsed away, only turning back to say "Come on! I'm hungry!"

Joey shook his head, following the leader. This girl was crazy, letting him stay. But she was also very, very kind.