Part 12 - Accidents

Start from the beginning

The knock at the door disturbed her thoughts. She knew that it could only be one person. "What do you want?" she growled out.

Zaakir cracked open the door an inch. "I've ordered for us food. You can pay when the doorbell rings. And, Maghrib salaah is in ten minutes."

Before she could spit out her anger towards him, he closed the door and disappeared. Angrily, Maleeha stood up, her scarf falling to the floor as she chased after him. "Zaakir!" she yelled as soon as she opened her bedroom door. "You are a flipping idiot! How dare you kiss me without my permission?"

Maleeha carried on yelling at him as he casually lounged on one of the chairs provided in their little cabin. Then, he stood up with a devilish smirk on his handsome face and he stalked towards her as she raved about his idiocy and complete disrespect for her personal space. When she noticed him coming closer to her, her breaths became shorter as he could see her visibly panic at his nearness. Finally, he stopped just one step away from her. An arm's reach away from her. "How dare I kiss you?" he asked her with a raised eyebrow. "Easily," he told her before he leaned forward and cradled her small face in his hands and kissed her.

Zaakir was not expecting the fireworks behind his eyelids as he kissed Maleeha. In fact, he didn't know what to expect, but he could honestly say that it was not fireworks. From every point of contact his body had with hers, there was fire emanating and heating up the space between them, electrifying it. Her soft skin felt like the most delicate silk in the world, her smaller body frame suddenly felt fragile compared to his body. In comparison with him, Zaakir felt as if Maleeha was one of the most treasured and delicate items in the world. She suddenly felt like his life's focal point.

And that was when Zaakir Ahmed knew he was screwed.

He broke away from his first kiss, and spoiled the memory of it by replacing his dazed and happy smile with an arrogant smirk. "That is how I dare to kiss you," he told her and walked away.

Maleeha could not fall asleep that night at all. After paying for the food she gave him the box of pizza and stomped her way angrily to the bedroom. She made her Maghrib salaah and waited for the time for Esha to set in before she made it and went to bed.

It was only in the early hours of the morning when she fell asleep. Not soon after she slept, Zaakir came to wake her for Fajr salaah. Where he demanded that she get herself ready for a day filled with vigorous activities and fun. She flipped him off, but nonetheless made her salaah.

"Come along now, pretty girl," he said mockingly. "We have to get done for our trip."

The cold was seeping into her clothing, chilling her right through the bones, but Zaakir couldn't care. Maleeha was shivering, biting down on her lower lip to keep herself from making any further sound. "You are so goddamn annoying! How bloody blind do you have to be to flipping tip our tube into the icy river?" Zaakir swore Maleeha.

"And you!" he accused the guide on the bank of the river as he turned to face him. "You promised and swore up and down that nothing could cause us to tip into the river! You swore high and mighty that nothing would fail! Some bloody promise that is! This godforsaken place promised 'minimal' wetting. Her falling into the bloody river because your bloody tube failed, is not what I would call 'minimal'! If she gets sick, your company will foot any and all of her medical bills!"

The poor, skinny guide just nodded meekly. His fear of Zaakir was entirely visible to anyone with eyes. Fear obviously gripped his throat so terribly that he could not even get a word out.