Part 33 - A Family Eid

"Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) never proceeded (for the prayer) on the Day of 'Eid-ul-Fitr unless he had eaten some dates. Anas also narrated: The Prophet (ﷺ) used to eat odd number of dates.

~Sahih Bukhari."

"That was such a wonderful thing that you and Zaakir had done," Nurunissa told Maleeha with a pleased smile plastered to her face. "Jazakillah so much, my child."

Maleeha blushed as she sat opposite her mother-in-law. "It is a pleasure to have done it. I only hope that the children will enjoy it," Maleeha sighed wistfully.

The hall was decorated in a light teal colour with silver accents. Bright lights lit up the large area and several air conditioning units were fanning through cool air. The long table had already been decorated in the hall

"Don't worry, my child, they will love it!"

A light, blossoming bud of hope began to unfurl in Maleeha's chest. Her pink cheeks suddenly stretched themselves into a small, hopeful smile as the heavy weight in her heart eased. "In Shaa Allah. Zaakir was excited to be able to pull it all together in such a quick span of time," Maleeha commented brightly.

Nurunissa's heart leaped with joy as she watched Maleeha's expressive face. Maleeha was wrapped in kindness, her heart was too big for the cold society that they lived in. A society that judged each one harsher than the last. While Nurunissa was ecstatic that her son's company was well-known in their town and province, she hated the negative commentary that the local newspapers always seemed to wrap Zaakir in. Most of Zaakir's and Maleeha's decisions would be criticised and scrutinised. Neither of them deserved the judgement.

"Maleeha," Zaakir called as he walked into the hall.

Nurunissa watched as Maleeha gave her an excusatory smile and turned on her chair to face her husband. "Maaf," Maleeha apologised as she slipped out of her chair and walked to Zaakir.

"Go along, child," Nurunissa waved Maleeha off with a soft smile. How could she begrudge her son happiness? Maleeha was all he truly wanted in this fleeting Dunya. Before he knew what love was, Zaakir knew Maleeha. The adoration that he held for her was visible to everyone, besides her.

Before love, there had been friendship for them, there had been fights and arguments, there had been teasing and chasing ...and then there had been separation and pain.

Before love, Nurunissa witnessed her son have his first heartbreak. Long before he had known what love meant, Zaakir had been hurt.

When Nurunissa looked up again, her husband was seated next to her, his one hand covering her knee as he kissed her cheek. "Daydreaming again?"

Heat rushed to her cheeks. "No, just thinking about those two." She tilted her head in the direction of Zaakir and Maleeha.

Hussain's eyes found the couple. Zaakir had one hand wrapped on Maleeha's waist, keeping her close to him as his other hand cradled the glass of cranberry juice close to her face. Hussain already could surmise what their latest argument was about: Zaakir wanting to feed the juice to Maleeha.

"They are like chalk and cheese, but somehow they manage to balance one another out like water and oil. They can exist peacefully together without infringing on one another. May Allah protect them, their marriage and their love." Hussain let out a sigh of contentment.