Hard Times 6

Connie walked back to Grace's hospital room and frowned, Jacob stood outside. "Jacob?" She asked, looking through the window she saw people in with her daughter.
Jacob smiled. "She's asking for you -" "-she's awake?" Connie burst into the room as soon as Jacob gave her a small nod.
He watched her take hold of Grace's hand but didn't acknowledge her. Instead, she grilled the other doctor in the room, she needed answers, she needed reassurance.
When the medical staff left, Jacob gave Connie space to be with her daughter, hanging back, content to let them have their moment. She stroked a thumb backwards and forwards over Grace's forehead, soothing and comforting.
"How is she?" Jacob asked quietly from the doorway.
Connie looked up and gave him a wide smile. "She's sleeping...she's going to be just fine..." Making her way across the room Connie slid effortlessly into Jacob's arms. "...thank you...for being here for us."
"I wouldn't want to be any where else sweet cheeks...through the good and the hard times...I'll always be here for you and Grace..." Jacob told her gently. "...I know you might not be ready to hear this...but after yesterday day...I thought I'd lost you Connie..." He felt he stiffen, he realised she knew what he was going to say and almost changed his mind, just for a second. "...when I saw your car balancing there, smashed up, God it looked terrible...I've never felt that kind of fear before...I love you Connie."
"I love you too." She whispered taking a shuddering breath before looking up and placing a tentative kiss on his lips. "I really don't know what I would do without you muscles." She held on as tight as she could with one arm burying her face into his chest.
Joy went flooding throughout his body, he wanted to run through the hospital telling anyone who would listen. He was so happy, stood here with Connie in his arms. The voice of reason calmed him, reigned him in.
"Did you manage to get hold of Sam?" Wondered Jacob.
"No...I left a message...Erm I hope it's ok, I left your number for him to contact me on...mine was in the car-" "Its fine...no problem." Jacob smiled down at Connie, the love he'd just confessed came beaming down on her, warming her.

Grace was getting stronger with every passing day, on the fourth day after the accident they received news that she was being discharged.
Sat in a wheelchair at the side of the hospital bed Grace waited patiently for her mum to return. "How long did mum say she was going to be?" She asked Jacob.
"She'll not be long...She said something about some paperwork Elle needs...besides we can't go till your doctor comes back with your discharge notes and painkillers." Explained Jacob
"I know..." Grace shrugged. "I was just wondering...Jacob?"
"What is it firecracker?"
"Are you going to stay with me and mum for a little while?" Inquired Grace.
"Nothings been mentioned...What are you thinking?" He asked Jacob kindly, curious about what she was getting at.
"Well with me with a broken ankle and mum with a broken collar bone...I know you said you would help...but...wouldn't it be easier if you stayed with us?"
"Probably...but it's up to your mum...She might not want me to." Jacob said gently. Looking at his watch he began to wonder where she got to, Connie had been gone an hour.
Hearing a knock on the door, Jacob looked up in time to see Grace's doctor walk in smiling brightly. He handed them instructions and appointments. But Jacob was only half listening, he kept an eye on the corridor expecting to see Connie rushing back, apologizing for getting caught up in the E.D. But she never did. So thanking the doctor Jacob remained cheerful for Grace's sake as they set off to find her.
He tried to ignore the worry he felt.