Chapter 5 "Life in Chicago"

The search for an apartment was fun for Alistair and Terry. They would go together to visit an apartment and the landlord would jump to all sorts of conclusions.

- You two young men are going to live here? Asked one of them

- No, said Alistair, I'll come to visit a lot!

- Visit? Said the landlord

- Yes, said Terry, my wife and I are going to live here

- Your wife? You're married?

- That's why I have a wife, said Terry

- Right! I'm sorry, said the landlord...

Later in the car, Alistair was talking to Terry.

- What was that man insinuating?

- That we were going to spend our time partying in his building... or...

- Or...?

- He thought we were going to live there as...

- No! Said Alistair bursting out laughing with Terry

- Let's go see the other one, said Terry

- All right.

By the time the two men were done hunting, it was time to pick up Candy from the hospital. She was waiting for them with all her stuff, in front of the hospital gate.

- Candy, said Terry, sorry we're late! We just wanted to find an apartment before night time.

- Did you find one? Said Candy

- Yes, we did, two bedrooms, great price, said Terry, you're going to love it!

- All right, said Candy

Terry came out of the car to put her luggage in the back and he hugged her, she hugged him back.

- We need to go shopping, said Alistair, for some bed sheets, bedspread...

- Let's go see the apartment first, said Candy

- All right, said Terry, Alistair?

- We're on our way! Said Alistair

The apartment was on the main floor with two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, living room, dining room... furnished.

- Wow! Said Candy, are you sure we can afford 2 bedrooms?

- Freckles, this is cheaper than the apartment I had in New York and I didn't have a bedroom, it was just one room...

- If you say so! Said Candy, very well then, let's get settled.

- I'll be right back, said Alistair, I'll got get the others, I'll do the shopping, you guys relax

Alistair left, and Candy told Terry about her day.

- I missed you so much today, said Candy

- I missed you too, apartment hunting is fun when you're with a friend! Thanks for suggesting he help me...

- You're welcome! I didn't want you to be bored

She went to the bedroom, with the double bed.

- A double bed, said Candy

- This apartment is special, said Terry, since it's our first place together.

- Yes, said Candy, our first place as a married couple!