Chapter 1 "The Aftermath"

What if ... Terry never learned that Candy was in Chicago!?

Candy was devastated the next day. She saw him, he didn't see her. She wanted to take some days off to go and look for him, but he's on tour...

"I can't believe Terry came here and he didn't see me! He must think I'm still in England or something! Maybe he forgot about me and he ignored me...No, what are you saying, he sacrificed himself for you! So you could stay in that sordid college! He kissed me that summer saying he had sincere feelings for me... He kissed me on the lips, with his tongue! It was wonderful! He went to see my Pony's Hill, he talked to Charlie about me... no he hasn't forgotten about me! He doesn't know I'm here! I have to let him know... Maybe if I write him at the theatre... the Stratford Troupe in Broadway, there must me only one Stratford troupe... I can try...that way if he's on tour, he'll find the letter when he goes back...I'll write the letter during my lunch break and mail it."

On that happy note, Candy went to her classes. She could barely concentrate; all she could think about was Terry! She got yelled at a few times for being distracted.

- Miss Andrew! Would you please pay attention!?

- Yes, sir, I'm sorry, said Candy blushing.

During her lunch break, she wrote the letter to Terry.

My Dear Terry,

I know you're going to be surprised to hear from me and see my address here in the United States, in Chicago... which was part of your current tour across America. I'm taking a chance here to write at the theatre I'm not even sure you'll get the letter. I saw you on stage I was on the third balcony and you were magnificent. I couldn't help thinking about Scotland when you told me about your passion for acting, watching you be the King of France was just a delight. I tried to see you backstage, but they wouldn't let me... I was in the crowd trying to get your attention by calling your name but you didn't hear me... I looked for your hotel I found it but your colleague Susanna Marlowe told me you were asleep and you didn't want to be disturbed by a fan...

I was devastated, you came to Chicago and you didn't see me, you didn't even know I was there... So I hope you get this letter and my address so you can reply to me. I'm looking forward to hear from you.

With all my love,

Candy (Miss Freckles, in case you don't remember me!)

She smiled at that last line. She put the letter in an envelope and she went to mail it.

"I pray you get this letter Terry. Please God, let him get this letter."

Then, there was an emergency, a young man; they say a young actor fell of the train-- Terrence Grandchester!!

Candy's heart skipped a beat! Terry fell off the train? What the hell happened? He couldn't be drunk since the day was barely starting... what on earth happened? She was taking care of the patient whose face was covered with bandages.

- Terry, is that really you? Did you jumped off the train? Why would you do that? It doesn't make any sense! Terry, please answer me, if it's really you...

But the patient was not talking.

- Then I guess it's not you! If it were Terry he would've answered me, I'm sure of it! Who ever you are, you better identify yourself! Because you're not my Terry! I'm going to tell the hospital you're an impostor!

Silence.

- All right... I'm going to tell the director..., said Candy walking to the door.

- No Candy! Wait! Don't go! It's me Charlie!