Chapter Five: Prey..

Chapter Five: Prey..

The fresh scent of cinnamon and vanilla filled the air as Evelyn burnt her special made scented candles, mainly to light up the house when the sun crept down so the moon can take its place; but also to take the odd smell of combined spices and fire wood from the atmosphere.

Sandra stood by Doc's side as he fixed up a powder that would reduce fevers. Sandra was not exactly paying attention to Doc's lesson, more like to the odd looking flower with a bright green stem and white petals that made it look like corn.

"Do you know the name of that flower?" Doc asked once he noticed Sandra was focused on something else other than his lesson

Sandra took her hand off the flower as if it was hot iron and turned to Doc to answer his question. "Black Cohosh."

Gently pushing the powder substance that he was working on to the side, Doc reached over to pick up the odd looking flower to examine its features. "What is the Black Cohosh used for and where is its home?"

Sandra's dark brown eyes wandered around as if she was searching through her brain to find the answer. "The Black Cohosh is used to regulate womanhood. I'm sorry Doc, but I do not know the home of the flower." She slightly dropped her head in shame.

Doc sets the flower down in front of him before saying, "It is alright Sandra, you don't have to know the answer to everything. The black cohosh is from North America, mid eastern part of the land."

"Have you ever traveled to North America, Doc?" Sandra asked.

Doc chuckled as if Sandra told a funny joke. He shook his head no as well before saying, "Oh no, that part of the world is not for a man like myself. Full of hatred and violence. However, Alex and Anton has took the time to voyage there; only for spices and flowers such as the Black Cohosh."

Walking into Doc's medicine room with slanted eyes and a deep frown, Evelyn stood by the door way with her hands on her hips. "T'would you two come out for supper all ready. W'er been calling out y'ah names for the longest."

Doc chuckled lightly while grabbing his wooden cane from the small table full of herbs laid out for the world to see. "Sorry my dear, w'er been caught up in the lesson."

Evelyn moved aside so Doc can walk out the room first. "Explain that to Robert, he killed three hours in making a splendid meal for us and our guest."

"Guest?" Sandra questioned as she made her way to Evelyn, who was waiting for her patiently.

"Oh yes, Doc's ole friend, his wife and his son has arrived to eat supper with us. Just minutes ago, they arrived with their special made lemon cake." Evelyn informed.