Jace // I Cant Remember

I honestly don't think I can remember the last time my family sat here, at the dining room table together. Family dinners were about just that: being a family and bonding. We weren't really anything short of pleasant.
You can imagine the surprise I had in my eyes when my mother told my sister Valerie and I that we would be eating as a "family" tonight. I knew something of drastic change would be the key part of this dinner. Now whether it was good or bad was the real question.

"Jace, pass the fried rice please." My father said from across the table. Around us was Chinese takeout, and well, nothing about it screamed "good intentions."
In this house, we usually all found our own way of getting dinner. Valerie would usually eat at her friend's houses, or with her boyfriend Jason's. Dad would eat at work, then come home around three am after hitting up the bar. And well, I don't know if my mom ever ate.
As we all tried to pick through the noodles, egg rolls, and steamed vegetables, my father kept looking at me then back down at his plate. His hands were twitching slightly, and after every bite of Egg Foo Young he took, he would take a long gulp of his glass of water.
The tension at this table was extremely unpleasant, and I honestly feel as though I would've been better ordering a pizza and devouring it in my room.
Suddenly, my mother spoke up in her quiet voice, "We're getting a divorce."
Valerie choked on her spring roll, grabbing a napkin and covering her mouth. In silently swift moves, she grabbed her bag off the ground and got up, pushing her chair in. She grabbed her car keys off the end table and began for the door. "Valerie Elizabeth! Get back here this instant!" My father boomed, pounding his fist on the table.
"I'm going to Jason's. Seems as though everyone else here can do what they want, so why can't I?" She said angrily as she ran out the door, slamming it behind her.
Sighing in defeat and running a hand over his almost bald head, my father rose from his seat and put his coat on. Without a single goodnight, he went up to bed.

"I guess that leaves more food for us, huh?" My mother smiled endearingly at me. She was such a fragile, delicate woman. In comparison to my father, who was loud and proud, it was a surprise they ever got married and had kids to begin with.
"Why are you and dad getting a divorce?" I asked as I had finished off the last of my noodles.
She looked up at me through her lashes. "Jace....sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. Your father is a drunk. I can't recall the last time he came home before two without smelling of booze."
Her voice cracked in those few words and it sent a cold spike through my body. I knew this wasn't easy for her, so unlike my sister, I wasn't going to be harsh or difficult about it.
"It's okay mom, I understand." I nodded my head at her in approval. She slowly stood up, ruffling my brown hair. "You're a good boy, Jace. Stay that way." As she kissed my head, she began collecting the empty half empty plates. "Mom, I'll get the dishes. You go get some rest, okay?" I offered. She smiled, and handed me the plates. "Goodnight." She responded, and then I was alone.