Part 20 - The Proposal

*Aubrey's POV*

I am completely frozen, the love of my life...the father of my unborn child is on his knees in front of me asking me to marry him. I don't know what's wrong with me! I want to say yes it nothing is coming out of my mouth, Michael's starting to look worried.

"Aubrey?" Michael calls out softly.

"Hmm?" I look at him.

"You're scaring me." He says, I can see the hurt in his eyes.

"Michael..." I begin.

"No if there's a problem say it." He says, starting to get irritated. Woah I thought I was meant to be the hormonal one.

"There isn't a prob..." I try to explain but he cuts me off yet again.

"What's so wrong about marrying me? We're already living together and have a baby on the way." He says then looks away. Seems like he's not going to let me speak.

I gently turn his face towards mine and he looks at me, I can see tears forming in his eyes. I lean in and press my lips against his, giving him the most passionate kiss I can give, he gives in and kisses me back. I pull away and look at him, he looks at me.

"What was that for?" He asks.

"To get your attention, you kept cutting me off." I reply, raising my eyebrow.

"Oh..." He responds.

"Michael. You just caught me off guard that's all, we had such a big day with your family revealing the news of our baby. Not to mention almost losing the baby before we even knew we had one, I froze. But you didn't let me give you an answer." I sigh.

Michael quickly looks at me.

"What were you going to say?" He asks, looking at me like he's high on caffeine.

"Yes. Of course I'll marry you!" I smile. He grins and picks me up and spins me around. I giggle at his reaction, he gently puts me down but pulls me into a hug.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so happy." He sighs.

"Me too." I smile.

"But you scared me!" He pulls back and looks at me, "I thought you were going to say no."

"That's what happens when you don't let me explain and jump to conclusions!" I slap his arm playfully, he laughs.

"That's fair, I deserve that." He blushes.

"Of course I was going to say yes. Michael I love you, I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else." I look into his eyes, he stares back into mine.

"I feel the same way. I love you too, ready to go to bed?" He asks.

"Yes! I'm exhausted." I laugh.

We both get ready for bed, once we're both on bed I'm laying on my back and Michael's laying his head on my shoulder and has his hand on my stomach. He's so cute, I reach one hand up to run my fingers softly through his curls and the other hand holding his hand on my stomach. Life couldn't be anymore perfect than it is right now, no one or anything can get in the way of that.

*The Next Morning*

*Michael's POV*

I woke up the next morning with no Aubrey beside me, I look around. Feeling confused, she's always doing what she can to get as much sleep as she can. I get up and get dressed, I go downstairs and still don't see her.

"Aubrey?" I call out.

Bo comes running inside and he sits at my feet. I bend down and pat him, I look at him and smile.

"Do you know where she is, buddy?" I ask, knowing the only answer I'll get out of him is a head tilt.

But Bo runs back out to where he came from which is outside, I follow him. When I reach the door I see a picnic blanket set out in the middle of the yard with what looks like a breakfast buffet. I then feel a pair of hands being placed on my waist from behind.

"It's about time you woke up!" Aubrey says.

I turn around and see her smiling at me. I pull her into my arms and hug her tightly.

"You set this all up for us?" I ask.

"Yes I did. It was beautiful out here so I thought why not have a nice breakfast out here?" She says.

"It is nice out here." I nod.

"Come, let's eat before the food goes cold." She takes my hand and leads me to the blanket. We both sit down and start eating. I look at her, I still feel like an idiot for the way I acted last night when I proposed.

"Aubrey...I just want to apologise for my behaviour last night. I didn't mean to react that way." I couldn't even look at her I am that ashamed.

"There's nothing to apologise for. If it were me who proposed to you and you said nothing I would have reacted the same way." She says softly, turning my face towards hers.

"I know but I didn't give you the chance to explain why first before assuming you wanted to say no." I can feel my cheeks burn up.

"Michael please don't beat yourself up about this. In case you have forgotten..." She holds up her left hand with her engagement ring on her finger, "I did say yes didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did." I smile, admiring how great the ring looks on her finger.

"Say yes to what?" Janet asks walking out the door.

"Oh hey Dunk." I say.

"Hey. Don't change the subject, don't invite me to breakfast then keep secrets from me." She laughs. Aubrey laughs then looks at me.

"If you must know, I asked Aubrey something important last night. And after reacting like a fool first I got my answer, if you look at her left hand you'll see what I'm talking about." I laugh, sipping on my juice.

"What?" Janet asks looking confused, she grabs Aubrey's left hand and looks at it then gasps.

"Took you awhile, are you sure you're not secretly blonde?" Aubrey asks.

"Ha ha very funny. But oh my gosh guys? You're engaged! Congrats!" Janet hugs Aubrey then hugs me.

"Thank you Dunk." I smile.

"Yes thank you Jan." Aubrey smiles at her.

"When are you telling the family? Or are you going to wait awhile since you only just sprung the baby news on them yesterday?" She asks popping a grape in her mouth.

"I think we might wait, don't want to overwhelm Mother with all this news." I sigh.

"That's okay." Janet smiles, "So what are you two doing today?"

"Yeah what are we doing today?" Aubrey asks me.

"Ahh I don't know." I shrug my shoulders.

"Great! We should plan the best engagement party ever!" Janet exclaims.

Aubrey looks at her like she's lost her mind. I couldn't help but giggle at Aubrey's reaction.

"Janet I think we should slow down on the planning for that, I mean I only proposed last night." I laughed.

"Yeah and we are the only ones who know about it. Why don't we just go see a movie or something, you know something normal?" Aubrey asks.

"Yeah okay." Janet giggles.