Chapter 1

As soon as I hit the net, a cheer goes up. "Second jumper!" a boy calls. He smiles down at me and extends his hand. "Candor?" he asks. I nod. He pulls me up and his smile growing wider. "Name?" he asks before lowering his voice, "if you want, you can pick a new name" I return his smile. "Rose," I say "my name is Rose... well, now it is"  The boy takes my hand, raising it up  and yells again. "Second jumper Rose, transfer from Candor." I feel nervous, I am about to leave behind a life of truth and honesty and trade it for a life of fearlessness and bravery. Did I made the right choice? I look at the boy, still smiling with sparkling eyes, but now he was helping someone else from the net. The next initiate comes over. "Hey" he smiles. "I'm Daniel, from Amity" He holds out his hand. "I'm Rose, I transferred from Candor" He nods as I shake his hand. "You're the only Candor this year," I shrug. "I guess no one else got results for here." We walk together to the crowd of initiates gathering. A girl with blond hair stands by the boy who helped me from the net. "Normally, Lauren and Four would be taking you all" The girl says. "But this year, we are going to take you through your initiation, My name is Tris, and this" she motioned to the boy, "Is Uriah. We were initiates last year, so we're only a year older than all of you. Uriah will be taking the transfers, and I'll take the Dauntless- born. any questions?" Everyone was quiet. "Okay" Tris clapped her hands. "Dauntless born, follow me." We wait while they disappeared down a hallway. Daniel leaned over, "did she have a tattoo?" he asks. I shrug, "A lot of dauntless get a tattoo, sometimes during initiation, or sometimes after, it depends on how they think they'll do." Daniel opens his mouth to reply but Uriah calls out. "Follow me guys, it's time for the first part of your initiation."