BioHazard

CHAPTER ELEVEN-

VICTORIA

    They sing in the car, Lady Gaga’s song Applause plays. Ernie bobs his head up and down, Gertrude fist pumps and Victoria touches and teases around with her hair.

    “Mom..” Victoria looks down.

    “Yes honey..” Gertrude turns down the little knob on the car. The zombies roars and groans still follow the car but they don’t care, they feel normal like a normal family not like they had zombies, not like they were bandits, not like they were different from other people.. Just normal, just a human being.

    “I wanted to say I was sorry.”

Jerry takes Victoria’s hair and whispers in her ear. “Are you sure that you really want to apologize to her… she should be the one apologizing to you! It’s not your fault she wants to rob and it’s not your fault that she basically killed Harley… I mean please.”

    “I have to… she’s my mother, I know that it’s not my fault but without her I probably would be up for adoption right now….well I’m over eight-teen but I wouldn’t have my father or my little sister.” Victoria and Jerry have become protective friends of one another, almost best friends, even despite their age difference. But Jerry already considered her in the friend zone, I mean it wouldn’t be appropriate either.. But she was a beautiful girl.

    “It’s alright Victoria, I mean you were right though.. If I didn’t rob and if I was dead then Harley would still be alive..”

Jerry crosses his arms and mumbles, “You got that right.” Giving a slight cough to cover off the words almost like how foundation and concealer covers up your beauty marks and blemishes on your face. Victoria elbows Jerry hard and he rubs the bruised arm. Sabrina smiles at Victoria and looks at little Ernie sitting on her lap.

    “Dad.. Where are we..” Victoria asks.

Her Dad keeps his grip on the steering wheel. “Still in Macon.”

    “LOOK A GIRL!” Ernie smiles. He points at a teenage dark hair and skinned girl.

    “I’ll talk to her Gertrude, wouldn’t want her to get robbed would we.” Jerry laughs popping out of the little black jeep.

    “Hi I’m looking for a boy and girl named Jerry and Sabrina, his dad and family are at our refugee camp, with his grandma. Have you seen him? Oh I’m Regina by the way.” Her peppy voice echoes throughout Jerry’s ears.

    “I am Jerry.” Jerry looks blankly Regina’s eyes. Victoria waves.

    “Oh well-”

    “Hey do we have a problem?” Victoria asks with a concern in her voice.

    “Oh no no no! We have Jerry’s father at our refugee camp called Little Paradise. We wanted to know if you and your family or group wanted to join us! We are a normal zombie free town always in room for new recruits and citizens! We would love for you to join!” Regina smiles.

Victoria smiles, “Let me get my family.” Jerry still looks at Regina’s dark eyes stuck in space and complete shock. Victoria gets out Gertrude, Sabrina, Garrett, and Ernie.

    “Let’s take a vote, All in favor.” Gertrude, Garrett and Sabrina raises their hands.

    “What does all in favor mean?” Ernie asks.

    “It means do we all agree to go to the camp.” Victoria looks at Jerry who still has his hand raised. Ernie raises his hand. “Let’s go then!”

    “WAIT Aileen’s alive?” Jerry asks.

    “I’m so sorry… she was alive and well… she died yesterday. Of an unknown cause, she has an autopsy going on for her corpse, but she had to be shot in the head because she became a walker.” Regina sighs.

    “Oh..” Jerry groans then vomits onto the charcoal colored road. He starts seeing multi-vision.

    “Jerry!” Victoria screams. He collapses to the floor.    “Get him to Little Paradise. Regina you get in the passenger seat. We’ll put Jerry in the trunk.”

    “WHY!” Victoria screams, “Why would you do that! He’s still alive an if he wakes up then he’ll be terrified!”

    “Jerry, terrified, sure!” Sabrina laughs.

    “WHATEVER I know he doesn’t get scared easily but I’ll put him on my lap, I don’t care.” Victoria grunts.

    “GET IN THE CAR!” Gertrude screams.

Victoria picks up Jerry and plops him on her lap.

    “Make a left here.” Regina smiles. “Alright now keep going straight.” Victoria wipes a platinum blond sweaty strand away from Jerry’s face and back under his black cowboy hat. “You’ll be okay.”

    “We’re here.” Regina smiles. She gets out of the messed up car. “I don’t know how this thing lasted so long..” Regina smiles.

    “I know right.” Garrett laughs.

    “Alright guys the infirmary is on the right. It’s the blue house.” Regina directs Victoria.

Victoria resettles Jerry on her shoulder and thanks Regina. Running on the paved cement. Sometimes crushing little purple flowers coming out the cracks of the beige cement.

The nurse, Samantha directs Jerry to the room. Victoria bangs on the window.

    “Dude it’s not that bad he just was too shocked by the news. I kind of was too. Maybe he was nervous to see his dad again.” Sabrina pats Victoria’s shoulder.

    “I guess you’re right.” Victoria responds and simply brushes her hand away and furiously walks out the infirmary.