Marriage Tips from Mufti Ismail Menk

"I know of a true incident and I am going to say it here even if the people involved happen to be listening, where there was a woman, a bride who could not pass the salad to her husband on the occasion of the walimah, and he issued the word 'talaq' immediately in front of everyone, and he divorced his wife, he told her, 'If you can't pass me the salad here, now, what are you going to do for me later on.' May Allah swt protect us. Such people are definitely the comrades of Shaitan.

"It is fardh and compulsory to know the laws of divorce before you get married. If you are married and you don't know the laws of divorce, you better learn them tonight. It is foolish to keep a gun and not know how to operate the trigger. You want to marry without knowing the laws of divorce? You are a fool! You might terminate your marriage and you won't even know. Don't ever joke about divorce because it is valid and it will occur.

"Allah is showing us that there is only one way to succeed, and that way is to adopt what Allah, the Creator of yourself and every other creature Allah swt has created. There is no other way for happiness. You know, when you have a Toyota, for example, wouldn't you be a fool if you arrived at the BMW showroom and you told them, 'I'd like to sell my car', or 'I'd like to service my vehicle'. You want to take a Toyota to those who did not make it? They will laugh at you. Now, that is a simple example, we don't see anyone with a Toyota taking it to the BMW showroom, why do we see human beings, who are made by Allah, taking themselves to others besides Allah to look for goodness and happiness, and to service them.

"It is not a competition who is more powerful in the home. The competition is who fulfills their role better."

--Mufti Ismail Menk, "Subjects in the Noble Quran" 2009.