Becoming people of Allah

When a person takes a path of ilm (Islamic knowledge) for themselves, the intention behind that is to be Rabbani, to act upon the Quranic ayah that commands us to become Rabbani: people who have a close connection with Allah.

Rabbani comes from the word Rabb, which basically means cherisher, sustainer, caretaker. Just like a gardener takes care of the seeds in the ground until they become plants. The gardener is happy to see the seed become a sapling and then grow further.

Allah takes care of us with an infinite amount of more care.

It is a gesture of reciprocation that Allah has chosen us to be His ibaad (worshippers), He has given us so many blessings, the biggest of which are iman (faith) and hidayah (guidance). How do we reciprocate? Of course our reciprocation cannot be perfect. Seeking that friendship, seeking that very delicate, subtle, beautiful connection with Allah, that deep yearning for a friendship with Allah, that is what a Rabbani is. Everyone might reach at various levels, some people might be closer, but what Allah is going to look at is the effort. This connection with Allah is not optional. That is the reason for our creation.

I want to talk, walk, live in a Rabbani way. That is the goal. Rabbani is everything that Allah loves.

[Spiritual Lodge 29.8.2015 by Alimah M. Farooqi]