She would be lying if she said she didn't enjoy the way he looked at her. A look of pure adoration and wonder.

"Who are you?" he whispered just loud enough for her to hear. "What are you? Carlisle knows, Alice and Edward have an idea, but they won't tell me."

"My people are different, hidden. I have even become a master at staying secret. It's really a miracle that you were able to find me." Aleida wore a smirk on her face.

Emmett watched her every move, memorizing it. He never wanted to forget her.

"I am Aleida Underwood," her voice was strong. "May the gods of old and new grant you high blessings."

Relaxing in her stance, she sat on the soft soil. Grunting occasionally as she felt pain flare up somewhere in her body.

"I'm going to go on a limb and say that Bella has already told you everything she knows about me." Aleida ran her fingers through the dirt, not caring if she ended up dirty. "Has she also relayed my message?"

Emmett stood as close to the treaty line as possible, his mate stood directly in front of him on the other side, just out of arms reach. She was prefect in his eyes, the marks that damaged her skin showed only her strength. He had no idea what reply to give her though, her words simply sunk into him. He was scared to ruin the moment, that she would disappear once again.

"What is your name?" Annoyance clear in her tone.

"Emmett Cullen," his voice came out cockier than he thought possible.He watched as his mate raised a gentle eyebrow in question. This wasn't the kind of impression he wished to make.

"What is your real last mane? Do you remember it?" her voice was gentle as if she was asking an invasive question.

"Of course I remember it? How old do you think I am?" His voice was back to its usual playful tone.

"I wasn't sure," her answer was honest. "I have a rather poor concept of time."

"What? How old are you?" Emmett felt himself go on edge. How old could she possibly be?

"It's rude to ask a lady her age," her tone was light, but it was easy for him to pick up on her disdain towards the question.

"McCarty, its Emmett McCarty." His attempt to change the topic was pitiful but Aleida was grateful.

"Aleida McCarty," the words escaped past her lips before she could stop them. The looked on his face, the look of pure love and joy ripped at her. She didn't want to hurt him like she was going to need to. He wasn't meant to be here. "It would have sounded a lot better than Cullen, I suppose."

He froze. he could sense that something was wrong. They way she spoke in could's and would have's, and the way she was distant and didn't give much of herself up. How he knew she should have felt the mate bond, the pull, yet she continued to stand where he could not reach her touch her.

Aleida stood to her feet and tried to memorize everything about him. "I have been waiting for my soulmate for many years. I traveled the earth, with a longing in my heart I did not know I felt. A soulmate is sacred, you could have been many things to be, but I did not expect you were meant to be both battle partner and lover both."

A familiar howl cut through the air, the two both glanced up. They both knew what it meant. The wolves would search for her if she did not return soon.

"I have a decision to make, it was not easy. I have not had a family in many years, I believed the concept to be lost to me," Aleida spoke clearly. her voice heavy with emotion. "Come tomorrow night, I will officially be an Elder of the Quileute tribe."

Emmett felt weak. He knew what was coming. Collapsing to his knees in front of her. "Please," he begged. "Please, don't do this."

"I will be an Elder, as well as a member of the pack." Aleida's eyes waters, tears spilling onto her cheeks. "You being the natural rival of the pack means that I cannot be with you the way you need, but I will always be there for as long as I continue to exist."

"No. No, no, no," Emmett choked out.

"May the gods of old and new grant you every bit of happiness in life. May the mother show you kindness and love in my place. May the father give you the wisdom and knowledge to forget me. May the warrior be your companion, may she guard and protect you when I cannot. By this I pray on my own existence."

Aleida shut her eyes gently and lowered her hand to the earth. She thrust energy into the ground beneath her, willing the soil to do as she commands.

On the other side of the river, flowers began to sprout around Emmett. White heather, iris and bell-flower grew in full bloom. A meadow that would forever symbolize this moment. For as long as she lived the flowers wouldn't whither.

She turned quickly and made her way into the trees, disappearing from the broken vampire behind her.

Aleida would never forget his eyes, they would be the first thing she thought of in the morning and the last thing before sleep. She knew might just regret that moment for the rest of her days, but she would never forget the first time she clearly saw his face, the first time they spoke. He would forever be the subject of her fantasies , ans she would would romanticize what might have been if they had met earlier. How she could have been in his arms at this moment.

Instead, she left with the feeling that she would never be satisfied without him.

·····

|Vote|Comment|Follow|

Unedited

this chapter was heavily influenced by Satisfied from the Hamilton soundtrack