Revolutionaries: Prompt One

Read through all five entries and vote for your favorite - only ONE!

Marie remained calm, holding back the tears that she wanted to let stream down her face. The wind pushed the swing a bit, letting her rock back and forth through the chilly air.

Like her grandmother's favorite rocking chair, the swings swung back and forth. The connection blew through her soul, bringing water to her innocent, blue eyes.

She couldn't take it. Thinking that her grandmother was "dead". She didn't know what death was exactly, but the thought of it, frightened her. She knew that once someone died, that they couldn't come back, that there were no second chances.

The park swings brought back too many memories, Marie concluded. She didn't know where else to go, except home. The wind picked up once more telling her to go home or suffer the consequences. She denied once more and decided to travel down a nearby trail.

The Bridge Trail was surrounded by trees and the buzzing of insects. Marie was thankful for the trees, for they blocked the cold, harsh wind. She liked walking through the trails at the park; they were calming and comforting.

Marie felt the raindrop on her cheek, and then on her hand. She couldn't decide whether or not to turn back. She was nearly done with the trail, but she wasn't sure which distance was shorter.

There was a boom of thunder and a streak of lightning. Behind her, she could hear the sound of something cracking, breaking. One of the tallest trees landed on the bridge, causing a domino reaction among the planks of wood.

Marie tried to run, to get to the end of the bridge safely, but her legs were glued to the ground. She was in shock.

But, it was too late. The bridge disappeared from beneath her feet and she fell into the roaring river below her.

She knew how to swim but the river's current was nearly impossible to navigate through. She found herself going above and underwater in a matter of seconds. The thunder continued to shake the ground.

Marie was startled by what was happening, her instincts not helping her to survive. The water carried her away from the park, her home, her family.

In a split second, Marie was thrown against a boulder in the middle of the river, knocking her unconscious.

Marie's motionless body was carried along the edge of the river before it finally washed up onto the shoreline.

Marie laid there for hours, unconscious and unmoving. The storm passed, the river calmed, night came, and the cool air began to drop even more.

When Marie finally stirred, she couldn't make out where she was, what time it was, or whether she was alive or not.

The eight year old girl, although she didn't completely understand the meaning of death, began to envy her grandmother.