Chapter 11

The only noise I could hear when I woke up was beeping. Loud, incessant freaking beeping that echoed through my head and made a pounding settle in my ears. It was annoying and it needed to stop. And so with that thought in mind I forced my body in the direction of the noise, my hand making contact with what felt like a pole, and promptly lobbing it across the room. It tugged something from my face but I didn’t care. It was gone and that was all that mattered. I gave a sigh of relief and made it my next pressing task to be waking up. I took deep breaths, fighting to break the surface of consciousness.

A blinding light was what I first saw. It’s the same as when people say that they wake up after a traumatic experience and see a bright white light and therefore tie that idea into death and heaven. But I knew better, it was the hospital corridor lights, and I can attest that those bitches be bright. But in my case I knew full well that the light I was blinded by wasn’t one from a hospital corridor. But in fact the only source of clarity for a small dark room. I couldn’t remember a thing, my last memory being of a nice night out with my mate. So why was I in a room with an incessant beeping problem?

“Rose?” A voice called from the bottom of the bed, sounding familiar. I blinked a few times, making sure my eyes were adjusted before angling them towards the side of the bed where a man sat. Dark brown hair was mussed over his forehead, sticking up in all directions as if he had slept on it wrong or continually ran his hands through it in obvious frustration. Dark brown eyes framed by long eyelashes looked tired and worn out, emotions dripping from every blink. I continued my perusal, seeing silver glint from his eyebrow, tattoos lacing up each arm and large pouty lips.

“What happened?” I managed to croak out of my very dry throat. I pushed my elbows into the bed to gain some altitude, trying to clear my airways as a coughing fit erupted from my battered chest.

“You don’t remember?” he asked, surprise clear in his voice and etched on his face, his silver glinted eyebrow flashing up until his hair covered it.

“I was hoping you could enlighten me, mate of mine.” I answered him, hoping he would come closer with the endearment spoken between us. He let out a huge sigh before abruptly getting out of the chair, coming to me and sitting next to me on the bed.

“I was worried you wouldn’t remember me at all to be honest. Doc said you hit that pole bloody hard and there was a chance you wouldn’t remember a lot, let alone the last few days.” I nodded and reached out to hold his hand in both of mine, seeing the large shape dwarf both my hands.

“I could never forget you,” I promised, kissing the side of his face lightly.

“Not that this isn’t heart-warming or anything, but do you mind if I have a glance over her wounds again, just to make sure things are healing the right way?” A man in his late twenties came through the door, wearing dress pants and a long sleeve purple shirt that he had rolled to his elbows. He had light blonde hair and piercing green eyes, and was very attractive all around. Though I was starting to notice that most werewolves were attractive, poor humans.

“Of course,” Decebal jumped away from me as though I had a disease, loitering in a far corner and shifting uncomfortably, which in turn made me do the same. Damn him.

“I’m sure everything is fine, it’s just a routine check since it’s been three days since the initial accident.” He was talking to me, but everything he said after that I couldn’t tell you even if I tried, the only thing that seemed to stick with me was the ‘three days’ part.

“Three days?” I asked in disbelief. “Three freaking days and I’ve been out!”

“Yes..?” Decebal spoke slowly, almost as if I was prone to psychotic breaks and was about to have a meltdown. I wouldn’t put it past me at this point, but they didn’t need to treat me like porcelain.