Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

"The oxygen is no longer necessary in my body and therefore the blood remains blue. My cells do not require oxygen as they no longer carry out mitosis. I am as I was, I am as I am. I am a being with no scientific explanation, a rather worrying thought should one require a doctor," he winked. "Breathing is just an exercise really, a habit if you will. I think we find it comforting to breath in and out, almost as though we are still human." I sat back, studying his pale face. Kieran was not awash with that glow of happiness anymore and it troubled me. I leant in and kissed the spot above his eye, his nose, his jaw and finally his lips. I'd barely drawn away before he whispered, "I'm not good enough for you because of this very reason." Kieran placed his hand on his heart. "You can give me your heart but in exchange for what, a heart that has served no purpose for centuries?"

I shook my head, not sure whether it was better to pity or tease Kieran. Here was the sincerity I had wished for when looking at Nate, but based on what? I had made clear to Kieran that I chose him, every day I chose him and that was never measured by humanity or lack of.

"I don't need blush in your cheeks or a heart that serves purpose to measure your worth Kieran." I raised my palm and placed it where his heart was beating. "All I ask is that for as long as you want me, that beat is for me," I waited, hoping for my comfort to reach him. Kieran slowly took my hand, raising my fingers to his mouth and kissing each fingertip in turn.

"That is little to ask of me. I gave my heart to you wholly when I saved you that night, whether I knew it or not." He rested his forehead against mine, urging me to feel his truth. "No matter what happens my heart will always be yours, as long as you want it. Let this, my promise, be true."

I bit my lip, longing to see if the sincerity I had wanted to see in his eyes was there, was appealing to me too. But I was paralysed by excitement and fear, my heart unsure whether to open itself or prepare the baricade.

"That's a very big promise Kieran," I whispered.

"Believe in it," he pleaded. Strong arms drew me close. My eyes widened as they were filled with the intensity in his own. His lips silenced my word as they became one with mine. He lifted me so I sat in his lap, legs wrapped tightly round his waist. His lips were gentle though in each caress willing for more. The feeling was still so fresh and wonderful and innocent despite the building desires within me. Kieran's tongue coaxed my mouth to open, guiding me, teaching me Our stuttered breath mingled, sizzling as hot and cold embraced one another. My hands reached for his hair, tousling and pulling it as the feeling inside became irrepressible. I moaned, making his body tremble with pleasure, untethered need. His hands made their way under my shirt. His finger tips bruised my stomach and my breasts as they explored my body. I'd never felt something so wonderful, so incredible before. I wanted this to be our secret, this feeling ours and ours alone.

Kieran thumbs stroked my ribs and my hips. His lips wandered my neck and my head fell back as he cradled me, wanted me.

Kieran gently lay me back down onto the bed, his lips never daring to leave mine. His body crackled and skin grazed skin a pleasurable, gritty sensation that made us both laugh. We were reminded of the differences between us, the prisons of what we were but it didn't matter, not when we were consumed by one another.

But this was more than lust. I had lusted for Kieran before and it hadn't touched my soul, asked me question myself.

It didn't make me question why I was cursed to have breath in my body, oxygen my veins and eternity with the indigo eyed boy in my arms.

Why now Evans? Could this be nothing more than the challenges of a imposter who is imitating a girl from the past that make you even dare to question?