Chapter Three

I had never seen a room with so much furniture and so many hues I'd never choose, nor a room I loved so much. Back in my old life, I had dedicated my purchases to clean lines, simple and mostly white; but these walls were all burnt orange and reds. The furniture was rustic and dark, sprinkled liberally with vibrant cushions. The coffee tables were covered in household clutter and the walls were more photographs than paint. Every one was of a happy memory, a smiling child, a birthday, a new baby. Lively music played in the background and the smell of cilantro seasoned the air. It wasn't just a house, it was a home; and Travis Manawa and Madison Clark had made it that way.

Travis was shorter than most, but his presence could be felt. A saw and hammer dangled from his belt with keys hooked onto it. When he got out of his seat, wood-shavings fell from his curly hair. He looked surprised to see us standing there, but offered his hand to me. One thumbnail was black, the other bleeding. 

As Alicia introduced me to her step-dad, her lips turned upwards slightly but it wasn't to be mistaken for a smile. "And Wren, meet my mom."

Madison wore a man's flannel shirt, untucked, and had the calm, almost sleepy, indifferent manner of a long-time bartender. Whiskey in hand, Alicia's mom came over to us. 

"You poor doll," she drawled in a thick southern accent, her arm wrapping around me. "Come sit, we'll get you a drink. Do you drink? Travis, pour the girl a glass of whatever's in this." 

Travis leaned closer, so that Madison was out of earshot. "I'll get you a water," he smiled. 

"Thank you."

"Unless you do drink?" he called over his shoulder as he disappeared into the kitchen.

"A water's perfect," I replied. 

"Coming right up."

"How old are you sweetie? You don't look a day over eighteen," Madison remarked, ushering me over to their dining table. 

"I'm twenty one," I smiled politely as I sat down.

"Oh that's perfect. My Nick is just a year older. And Alicia... well you turned twenty last week didn't you sweetie?"

Alicia nodded.

"Did you celebrate?" I asked.

"We acknowledged it," Alicia shrugged. 

Silence stretched over the room like a cloud until someone cleared their throat.  I had come to learn that Alicia was a woman of few words. She thought it only necessary to communicate the essentials or at least that was the way she was around her family.

"Nick is your son?" I continued. 

"Nick? Yes. I have no idea where he is. He's like a cat. Always roaming. Try to lock that boy up and he'll always find a way out," Madison replied.

Alicia raised an eyebrow and distractedly circled the rim of her glass with a finger.

Madison shrugged. "He's been like that since he was a baby."

"Sorry to interrupt," Travis muttered, as he wedged his way in between Madison and I. He set two glasses in front of me. "One water. One bourbon. Enjoy," he smiled proudly.

"Oh," I exclaimed.

Tequila, vodka and gin were three of my closest friends in high school but I had never strayed far enough to try whiskey. If I was honest, the thought of it sent shivers up my spine. 

"Give it a sip. You don't have to drink all of it."

"Just shot it like I do," Alicia cringed. "The stuff is toxic."