$$$

The moment Gabriel announced me he was taking Tom and James to the hotel his other proteges were currently staying at, I knew that it was also probably the time for me to get dressed and go set things straight with Mathew. I knew I was no longer his favourite person in the world after that police thing and I also knew that some apologies were not going to help, but I was really out of options. So trying to talk to him -explain everything to him- was pretty much all I could do to try and make things better. I mean, come on! I was not the one who'd told that sales woman to call the police. He had to understand that.

Picking up the only summer dress I had in the closet, one with some nice white flowers on a green background, I slipped it on while also taking a deep, steeling breath. It was not going to be easy for me to make my point, especially considering the fact that Mathew appeared to be avoiding me, but I was also not going to let it go, because one thing I knew for sure -I didn't want Mathew as my enemy.

Stepping out of Gabriel's bedroom I started for the livingroom downstairs, hoping to God for Mathew or at least Angie to be there. I was not looking forward to having to knock at their bedroom door. But then something else caught my attention making me lose my train of thought. The entire villa was quiet. Too quiet even. Where was everybody?

The dining room was empty except for the two maids polishing the furniture and so was the kitchen. Frowning, I headed for the livingroom, my only chance left of actually finding the man I was looking for. The sound of Sinatra's smooth voice singing something about New York made me smile even before stepping into the room. 

"Beautiful, right?" Recoiling ever so slightly I dared a glance in the direction of the voice. Mr Shaffer was sitting in the huge armchair by the window, his lips forming an amused smile. "I didn't mean to scare you, dear. You just seemed so enraptured by the music that I couldn't help but say something." Returning his smile, I slowly nodded my head. "This was my wife's favourite, and with time, I think I grew quite fond of the bloody song as well." A secret smile replaced his earlier amused one, Mr Shaffer's eyes closing for a second, the look on his face, one of pure happiness. "I'm sorry, dear. Were you looking for someone?" His dark eyes opened again and took me in. 

"I was, actually. Do you happen to know where Mathew and Angie are?" Briefly glancing out the window before giving me an answer, the man nodded his head.

"As it happens, I do know where both of them are." I smiled in expectance of his answer, but he seemed in no hurry to tell me their whereabouts. "Please take a seat, Julia. Keep an old man some company." Signaling for the couch sat in front of the fire place, the man watched me patiently until I did as I was told.

Raising his voice and calling for one of the maids, Mr Shaffer gave her his empty glass and raised two fingers, probably asking for two more drinks. I was just about to refuse his silent offer the moment the maid -whose name I think was Roza- left the room, the man's entire attention returning to me.

"I wanted to thank you." My mouth opened in something resembling shock, but then closed when Gabriel's father smiled kindly at me. "What you did for our son was... You're a brave woman, Ms Groves and I'd be happy to call you family one day." Swallowing hard, I forced my lips to form another small smile. How was I supposed to tell him that, as far as I was concerned, that was never going to happen? His eyes dropped to one of my wrists and I soon realised that he was actually looking at the tattoo his son had given me, a smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth. "Ms Groves, do you happen to know...?" He was interrupted  the moment Roza came back with our drinks. Mr Shaffer's drink of choice was appearently bourbon -no surprise there.

I accepted the glass I was being offered while Sinatra sang his last New Yorks, silence enveloping the room afterwards. 

"As I was saying, do you happen to know what that tattoo means, Julia?" I quickly realised that we had the room to ourselves again, my heart racing. I wasn't so sure I even wanted to know what the tattoo meant. A short laugh escaped the man watching me closely. "He didn't tell you, did he?" I was officially intrigued and just about to ask what the hell he was supposed to tell me the moment Mr Shaffer stood up abruptly. "My son may be an idiot -and now I know that more than ever- but, please, Ms Groves, don't give up on him quite yet. Gabriel might still surprise you." Heading for the exit, the glass of bourbon still in his hands, the man gave me a sad smile. That was also when I stood up, decided on getting an explanation for his words.