Revenge

The little light coming from what I guessed to be a hallway allowed me to see the shadowy figures of the two men arguing by the slightly open door, my mind completely awake, my eyes widening ever so slightly. 

"You don't get it. I need more light to be able to treat her." Ok, so appearently one of the two men was the doctor Rebecca had told me about. Now I only needed to figure out who the man leaning against the wall and staring him down was.  

"No, doc, you don't get it. As I think you're quite fond of your fingers, you'll do as I say and treat her right here and right now. Got it?" The danger in Marco's voice was almost palpable and it made me cringe. I really  felt sorry for the poor doctor who'd gotten dragged into this because of me. The man slowly nodded his head while putting his briefcase down and starting to take off his jacket.

"I'll do it, but you need to understand that even after I attend to her, the wound needs treatment and constant care. It might still get infected and the risk of sepsis is quite big. A wound such as the one you described would normally need hospitalising." I swallowed hard, trying not to let the doctor's words sink in. Sepsis? Hospitalising?

"I perfectly understand the risks, doctor. Do you?" The doctor remained still for a moment and I took a deep breath, the hole in my stomach sending searing pain throughout me and making me realise that I was no longer sedated... Good. 

The door then got closed all of a sudden, darkness swallowing up the room and causing my muscles to start shaking. My breath caught in my throat, my heart violently pumping blood into my body, my ears barely registering the sound of the quiet footsteps heading towards me.

 And then a cold hand landed onto my overheated forehead making me jerk away from the touch. 

"It's ok. I'm here to take care of you." The doctor's calm voice drifted into my ears, making me take a deep breath of relief. He seemed to be nice and honest and that was good since I had no other choice but to let him treat me. "God! You are burning up. It's a good thing I'm here." His hand left my skin and moments later he started fumbling with something -I couldn't tell exactly what. "Let's have a look now, shall we?" The flashlight he was holding shed its light over my torso, my bleeding wound even more gruesome now. The doctor sighed, making me look up at him. "May I?" He asked motioning some scrissors towards my dress. I slowly nodded and that was all the agreement he needed. The man started cutting the patch of my dress covering the wound and carefully took it out of his way. "You need stitches..." He mumbled before turning away from me and looking for something inside his briefcase again.

The medicinal alcohol he then poured over my open wound almost made me pee my pants, that's how bad it stung, but it was nothing compared to what came next. I bit my tongue the moment he drove his hot needle into my skin, my face contorting in utter pain, tears threatening to flow. 

"I know it hurts, but there's nothing I can do about it." The doctor whispered, his mouth twisting in disgust. "I have no idea what they gave you before I got here and their drugs might not get along with the pain killers, if you know what I mean." I knew exactly what he meant. Any pain killers combined with the drugs already flowing through my system could've killed me and I had to stay alive. 

Taking a deep breath, I tried not to whine whenever the doctor drove his needle into my flesh, sowing my wound. By the moment he was done with it, my skin was literally on fire, the pain from what used to be a hole in my stomach spreading throughout my entire body once again. Giving me a shot of what I guessed to be a strong antibiotic, the man then slowly stood up. 

"You should start feeling a little better after a short while, but don't hesitate to ask for pain killers whenever you might need them. I'm sure your... friends... will be happy to oblige." My eyes closed in frustration. It was impossible for him to think these people were my friends. Nobody could've been that stupid as to believe that. "I'll pray for you." The doctor said while taking my hand in his and that's when I felt it. A small, sharp object placed right there, into my palm. I slightly gasped making him squeeze my hand a little tighter. "Good luck, m'am." Was all he said before turning on his heels and heading for the exit.