chapter twenty two

"Hallie, wake up." whispered a familiar voice.

I sleepily opened my eyes to see Adam crouched down beside my bed. I was really confused; it was dark outside. what did he want this late at night?

"what? why?" I grumbled as I slowly sat up and rubbed my sleepy eyes. "I want you to see something." he whispered, trying not to wake Julie and Connie.

"what time is it?" I asked. "it's 6-ish." he said. "Adam are you crazy? can't you show me later?" I whispered as I layed back onto my bed.

"no." he laughed as he grasped my hands and pulled me out of bed. Adam led me down the hall and then through the doors.

when I stepped outside, I was speechless.

there was the most beautiful sunrise I had ever witnessed, right before my eyes. the sky was painted with purple and pink, and rays of the blooming sun peeked through the clouds.

after a moment of admiration, I looked over at Adam, who was already smiling at me.

"I thought you might like it." he said, still holding my hand. "this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." I said, smiling.

"that's what I think about you."

my stomach instantly filled with butterflies. that was the sweetest and most heartfelt thing anyone had ever said to me. I never felt so appreciated.

only Adam made me feel this way.

he grasped my other hand, turning me towards him. he began to lean in and I did too.

when we kissed, it was the most perfect song moment. the vivid colors filling the morning sky, the words Adam spoke, the feeling of his lips against mine; it was simply perfect.

a moment later, he led me closer to the lake. we sat and watched the sunrise for a moment.

he slipped his pinky between mine as we sat there, both amazed by the painted sky. I felt him look over at me, so I looked over at him.

"so what do you say about ice cream after practice tonight?" asked Adam, grinning. "sure." I giggled and nodded.

"but this time, as a date." he added, shyly. "sounds good." I smiled.

we sat there in silence for another minute or two before the sun rose above the horizon, and the pink and purple had changed to yellow and pale blue.

"can I go back to bed now?" I laughed. "of course, Hallie." laughed Adam. "I just wanted you to see the sunrise." he grinned.

he stood and offered his hand to me, so I placed mine in his and he helped me up.

we walked inside and he led me down the quiet hallway to my room.

"I'll see you at practice later." I said. Adam began to walk to his room before turning around.

"oh Hallie! one more thing. meet me by the bench outside the dorms at 6:30 and we can walk to the ice cream shop alright?" he said with a cute little smirk.

"alright." I giggled. I smiled at the ground as I walked back to my bed and snuggled back under my warm covers.

class later that day was a total bore. we learned about atoms and molecules or whatever.

it was always hard to focus when miss McKay taught us, I would always be exchanging silly looks with Luis from across the room, staring at Adam, or simply daydreaming. very rarely could I pay attention for a long time.

I walked with Charlie to practice that evening. he continually questioned me about Adam and Luis. I just denied that I had a thing for either one of them, though I clearly did.

I enjoyed Charlie's company. he was one of the kindest guys I knew, and would always listen and care about what anyone had to say to him.

"so how's your wrist?" asked Charlie, looking down and my wrap. "not bad anymore. hopefully this will be my last day wearing this stupid thing." I said. "I'm glad to hear that." he said with a grin. 

a while later at practice, I sat alone in the stands like I had been doing for the past few days.

fortunately, coach Bombay realized he was being downright ridiculous and changed his attitude back to normal.

he was working the team like usual; the same drills we always did.

I was staring at Luis who was stumbling like crazy during a stopping drill when coach grabbed my attention as he walked off the ice and towards the stands.

"Bradley! I need to have a word with you." he hollered. I quickly hopped up from where I was seated and made my way over to him on the bottom of the stands.

"okay, Hallie. I'm going to check out your wrist." he said as he gently unraveled my wrap.

"does this hurt?" he asked as he slowly twisted my hand in circles. I was surprised to feel no pain at all.

"no." I said with a grin. "are you telling the truth, Hallie?  or are you just saying that so you won't have to sit in the stands anymore?" he asked. "truly, sir. I don't feel any pain." I said, twisting my wrist.

"great. you don't need to wear the wrap anymore, and you can get back on the ice tomorrow at practice." he said with a smile. "thank you, coach!" I excitedly said as he went back onto the ice.

after sitting in the stands for another twenty minutes or so, I realized I could sneak out of the rink and back to the dorms, so I would have extra time to get ready for my date with Adam.

it was 5:30 and practice ended at 5:45, so that would give me fifteen extra minutes to get ready.

I quietly stepped down the stands and snuck out the back door in the locker room, then quickly walked to the dorms.

I took a fast shower and blow dried my hair. by the time I was done and had started on my makeup, Connie and Julie were back from practice.

"hey Hal." they said as they walked into the room. "hey girls!" I said, excitedly.

"oooh Hallie! whatcha getting ready for? a date?!" asked Julie, suspiciously. "actually, yes." I said as I brushed some powder onto my face.

"no way!" they both shouted. "with who?!" asked Connie. "Adam!" I squealed. they both knew I liked Adam, so it was super exciting telling them I was going on a date with him.

"oh my gosh! can I pick out your clothes?" asked Connie, excitedly. "sure!" I laughed.

a moment later, Connie held up a beautiful short navy blue dress and some matching flats.

"how about this? do you like it?" she asked with a grin.

"no, I love it! but don't you think it's a little too much for just going to get ice cream?" I asked, unsure.

"no way. c'mon Hallie it's perfect!" squealed Julie as she took the dress from Connie's hands and held it in front of me.

"fine! I'll wear it."

after adding the finishing touches to my makeup, I slipped on the dress and shoes.

"how do I look?" I asked the girls as I opened the door to the bathroom I changed in. "perfect!" Connie and Julie both squealed. "thanks, I'm so excited!" I said with a smile.

"well its 6:27, you better get going." said Connie. "alright. I'll see you girls later." I said as I left the room and headed for the bench to meet with Adam.

I knew we were only going out for ice cream, but I hadn't been this excited since I found out I was coming to Los Angeles for the Junior Goodwill Games.