‘Look at it as an example,’ he said, and paused for a few seconds. ‘Okay, Brett. You know how we operate, you’ve done some work for us before, and you’ve been through our checking system. But there are just a few welcoming facts I need to tell you.’

‘Go on,’ Brett said, who seemed unmoved by the man’s threatening style.

The man reached into a casual, leather bag. He pulled out three photos. He took a pace closer to Brett and handed him the photos. Brett’s face turned pale. ‘Where did you get these?’ he asked, looking at them.

The man leant forward and touched the first photo. An attractive, fortyish, blonde woman sat by a swimming pool, naked. ‘Your wife, I understand,’ the man said, and then pointed to the other two photos, each of a pretty teenage girl, also blonde and also nude, sitting by the same pool. ‘Your twin daughters, I believe.’ The man sneered. ‘Wouldn’t do your judge’s reputation much good if the media knew that you kept pictures of your wife and daughters, naked, on your computer, would it, Brett?’

How the hell did you get them?’ Brett snapped, scanning each picture with a worried expression.

The man reached forward, snatched back the photos, and stuffed them back in his case. He stood up and glared down at Brett. ‘Now listen. You’ve worked for Zero for some time. You’ve passed the test. I’ve invited you to join this inner circle of the most secret and powerful organisation in Europe, possibly in the US as well. I have spent years building it up, and won’t allow it to slip out of my hands by anyone who thinks they can get one over on me. As you know, I have people working for me in the judiciary, the secret services, all the police forces, the prison service, banking, the medical profession, many businesses, and most government departments. Apart from you lot,’ he stopped and flung his hand out to point to the other two, ‘nobody else has met me. I’m known as X, and that is how it’ll remain. Understand?’

Brett nodded.

‘The pictures were pulled from your PC.’ X raised his head and stared at Brett. ‘I have complete access to your computer, and everyone’s in your family. Now you’ve joined us, you no longer have any personal secrets. They’re all mine.’

Brett gulped. ‘You’ve hacked into my PC? That’s out of order.’

‘Fucking grow up, Brett,’ X snarled.

‘But you didn’t ask my permission.’

‘No. I didn’t, and I won’t. Want to argue about it?’

Brett looked around the room and glanced at the other two men, who’d remained silent and watched on. He turned back and looked up at X. ‘No,’ he replied.

X didn’t comment. He moved to the one empty chair, opposite Brett.

‘I called you all in for two reasons. To meet Brett: we’ve done that. And to discuss an urgent matter.’ X, who’d been leaning forward with his hands clasped in his lap, looked up and at the others. ‘Harry Fingle survived the hit-and-run. How, I don’t know. He should have been killed instantly, or died in hospital.’ X shrugged and rubbed his chin. ‘But he didn’t, and he’s the biggest threat to the organisation’s existence. If he’s allowed to carry on digging the shit, he’ll expose us.’ X looked into the eyes of the three men. ‘He has to be eliminated.’ He looked around again.

‘Any ideas?’

Damian Hunt shot his hand up.

‘Go on,’ X said, and nodded at Damian.

‘A straightforward accident: like falling down an escalator at a tube station, knocked off his bike and under a bus or lorry, falling under a train, something like that.’