Chapter One

"Jacoby, get out here now young man!"

"Mom, please don't make me go out there. I know it's required but..."

"But what"

"I'll have to see the kids from school," I then gingerly rubbed my black eye. This was not the whole truth, but if anyone found out my secret. My life would be ruined. Besides that, who wanted to go to The Reaping if at any minute you could be sent to certain death.

"Jacoby, get out here NOW!"

Finally seeing I'm not going to win this fight, I walked into my personal bathroom and started to try to straighten my blonde hair. When rudely my little sister, Katia, came in with a lavendar suit and matching tie.

Before I shoved her away she squeezed out the words, "Mother told me to give this to you. It was Dad's from when he was your age"

The thought of my dad depressed me. He was my favorite person in the world. Everyone at school and home besides him didn't understand me. Dad was my one friend in my life, before the accident. He was trying to mix chemicals in his lab to try to create a cure for Shaw's disease, when it exploded and burnt down his laboratory.

I slipped the suit on while listening to my favorite music on my IPhone 176gs, the oldies. After listening to Eminem, I walked into the kitchen. I sighed, knowing that this might be my last time seeing this house.

*************

Like every year, the crowd was packed tight in Town Square. I scurried around until I found the 12 year old section. As usual, everyone laughed at me and threw stuff at my face. Especially Kelvin Harringson, who was my worst nightmare everywhere I went.

I hung my head while others were harrasing me, blocking out the world. After 45 minutes of some odd lady with hot pink hair and blue skin proclaiming a speech, It was time for the drawing.

For once in my life, I was pretty confident about not being drawn from the drawing bowl. My family is rich so I didn't need to sign up for a tesserae. With only one ballot with my name on it, the odds were about 665 to 1 that I would be drawn.

The lady said , "Men first!" and I prayed Kelvin's name would be drawn. As I was thinking about how much easier life would be without him, I heard her say something very faintly. Finally realizing the name, my heart stopped.

"Jacoby Nickolai Zeller! Will you please come up!"

After the laughter of my piers, I was shoved to the stage.

"Well ladies and gentlemen, your male tribute this year is Jacob Nickolai Zeller."

You could hear a pin drop. My mother was passed out on the street while my sister was trying to get her up, tears streamed down her face. A worthless 12 year old winning The Hunger Games, impossible considering my survival skills consisted of nothing, nothing, and nothing. At lease I'll be with dad soon.....

" Well now for the ladies," said the blue lady. She shoved her hand in the drawing bowl labeled, women.

The only way this day could get any worse was if my secret was lost. Only if D......

"Diana Lutz! Please come forward!"

No! NO! NOOOOO! My one true love. The 12 year old crush of mine! The one person who could make me smile besides my father will fight to the death with me!

She stepped forward and took her place proudly, as I knew she would. Her beautiful face smiled, although deep under i could see a scared young girl. Diana is my idea of perfect. Gorgous blonde hair that captured everyone's attention, a marvolous personality that attracted so much charisma nobody could hate her, and muscular body that was perfect for anything. The one time we had weopon demonstrations in the Justice Building, she could hit a dummy with an arrow from a mile away, the same with a knife, and every other weapon imaginable. I knew she was the perfect tribute, but nobody else did. They all thought that two 12 year olds would never make it out of the arena alive. I couldn't blame them. To conclude the ceremony, the lady announced

"Jacob Zeller and Diana Lutz, the District 6 tributes for the 68th Hunger Games!"

All I remembered was the lady holding my arm up and the crowd faintly clapping. Then my world went blacke.