Part 10 - The Beginning

Maya was smiling, and had to say so much to Rohan. But she decided to play it low, for the fear of sounding overly excited...for the fear of coming out as easily available... She trusted Rohan much more than she did, other men, or other people. Yet her fate always had failed her, and she did not want to take chances this time around. She waited for Rohan to pick up the call. He did. 

"Where have you been Maya? This late! I thought you would message me once you wake up! I sent you so many messages... did that irritate you?"

"Breathe Rohan!!! Phew...  I woke up late. I had a disturbed sleep, I ended up sleeping in till 9.. And I got very delayed. I read your messages only a few minutes ago. And here I am calling you... Alright?" she explained. 

"Okay cool. I wanted to talk to you.. Can we have dinner?" he asked, sounding hopeful. 

"Ahhh... you know what, dinner is difficult.." she was trying to sound helpless. 

"Difficult? But why? Please, are you trying to play hard to get?" he was irritated, because he knew she never had other plans. Why was she keeping him hung! 

"Yes, it is difficult, because it would be too late, I doubt I want to wait that long to see you again... I was about to ask you for lunch!" she said this, and smiled.. .Blushed, in fact!

Rohan chuckled. He punched in the air, a feeling of triumph. "Whoa! so you are good at this woman! Lovely. Obviously, let us lunch! Where?" he asked. 

"Anywhere you take me, Rohan! I am in, for any plan you make. What are you up to? Work?" she asked. 

"No... don't you know I was awake every single hour last night? I called in sick, yet again. They can manage, there is nothing I need to be there for. But lunch plan is fabulous. So, let us meet and decide... Where do I pick you? Office?" he asked. 

"I haven't reported to work yet. I plan to call in sick. But I am almost near office. What do I do?" she was seeking his opinion. 

"I will take a half hour to get done. But you can't be waiting all the while.. Come over to my place and wait in here. Let's go together from here! Is that good enough?" he suggested. 

She hadn't been to his house before. But today, was different! She did not feel strange or uncomfortable with the thought of visiting his house. She said a yes, and started walking. "So, take a cab, and be here. I would leave the door open, in case I am still in the bath, I don't want you waiting. I'm texting you the exact address. See ya" he smiled. He messaged her the address. 

His house was only 2 kilometers away, but she thought she could walk. She did not want to mess this date. She found a florist making beautiful bouquets. She picked one, with assorted flowers. It looked lovely. She paid, and walked ahead. She also wanted to take something else, not just because she was going to his house for the first time, but more because she felt like it. Gifting him only made it easier for her to lighten the burden she felt. The burden of being loved so much, in return for nothing. She was grateful someone could just love her, the way she was, with her weirdness, and her insecurities, and her scars. She really felt overwhelmed thinking of how someone could give so much away, without even a certainty of gratitude in return. She felt blessed. 

On the way, she came across a gift shop. It had a hundred or more different gift items. Cards and show-pieces and what not! She did not want to pick one of those, though. She was about to walk away, when she suddenly thought of an idea. How about gifting him something which made him remember her, all the while that he was home!! Yes, she was happy with that thought. 

She walked through different sections of the store, and finally came up with a few gift items. She had bought a coffee mug with an 'R' carved on it. She bought a very pretty-looking wind-chime for his hall. She bought a small wooden wall-hanging, to be hung in his room. So, now she had an item each for every part of his house. Then her eyes fell on the cards section, and she went and looked at the various cards there. Finally, she found a card, reading which felt like their own story. She picked it up. She got them all packed, paid and left. She had spent enough time, and now she knew she would be late if she chose to walk. She called an auto, and reached his home. She rang the doorbell. 

Rohan had been waiting for her. He was glad, when he heard the doorbell. He opened the door, and stood gazing at her. She looked too pretty. It wasn't the clothes, the make-up, or freshness of her perfume, it was that radiant smile on her face that he loved the most of all. He could say from looking at her, that she was happy. He felt happy that Maya was happy. 

"Welcome, Maya!" he said and gestured for her to come in. She smiled, and said a "Thank you". He asked her to sit, and went in to bring the fresh fruit juice he had made for her. While he went inside the kitchen, Maya unpacked the gifts. As soon as he came out, she said "Here! This wind-chime for the hall. While you sit here in peace, the chiming will remind you of me." He took it, and smiled. He went and immediately hung it on the hook. 

"And this, hang it in your room. When you go to sleep, or wake up, you shall see this and think of me..." and she handed him the wall-hanging. 

"This coffee-mug for every time you have your coffee... Think of me, alright?" she smiled as she said this. Rohan took it, and was now wondering what had come up on this woman. She made him feel so special, suddenly! 

Finally, she handed him the card, and wanted him to read it, while she took the pretty bouquet and went and placed it herself in the huge copper vase in the hall. She simply loved the house. It looked so clean, and maintained. It looked welcoming. She liked it, and smiled radiantly. 

While she put the flowers in the vase, she said, "Read it. I will check out your beautiful house until then." He nodded. She was exploring the little but lovely house. 

There were 3 paintings in the hall. The room was a lovely green color, and the curtains a nice contrasting indigo! She loved the room. She liked the kitchen too. 

And here, Rohan, was reading and re-reading the card, and literally soaking in the beautiful words and the heartfelt sentiments that it evoked in him. 

It read - 

The day you walked into my life, and kissed away my pain and sorrow...

I knew for sure, I wanted you, to be in my tomorrow...

Yesterday is over, today is here

Tomorrow, though uncertain, is quite near

All I want is for you to stay,

And be with me, come what may!

Can I ask you if you feel this way too?

Because, my dear, I LOVE YOU...

Rohan was simply elated, reading it.. He walked around to look for Maya. She was done checking out the hall and the room. She wasn't in the kitchen either. Then he looked, and found her in the balcony. She stood there, taking in the warm sun, and smiling, and glowing. He just stood there looking at her, and whispered under his breath,"Man! I love her!" 

She suddenly looked sideways, and found Rohan looking at her. She was suddenly uneasy, and straightened her pose, and signaled him to come and stand next to her. He walked. He waved the card at her and said, "This!!". She waited for him to say what ever he wanted to, and just said "Hmm!"

He continued, "This is the best that has happened to me, in all my life, Maya! I have no words to tell you, how you make me feel. Thank you!" He did not think he would, but he had tears in his eyes, as he said this. 

Maya went a step closer, and hugged him tight, her face dug deep in his chest. There was no other warmth she needed, she had never felt more secure. 

They stood there, hugging each other, for a long time. It felt beautiful to both of them. Neither had spoken a word, yet so much was exchanged between them. This hug, wasn't like anything either had ever felt. They were both taking in the warmth of the other. Nothing had ever felt so right before!