18 Years Later

Eighteen Years Later...

"Good Morning Zera" Mavis says brightly to her little green chameleon. Mavis began to go about her morning. Cleaning, painting, baking, singing, croshe, etc. It was boring being in a tower all day every day. But There was something that always kept her going. "It's almost my eighteenth birthday! I'm sure mother will let me go out to see the lights" Mavis said brightly as she walked over to the window and looked up at the sky. The lights appeared every year on her birthday and Mavis wondered where they came from. Mavis hoped that this time her mother would let her go see them. "Mavisss!!Let down your hairrrr!" She sung from the ground. "Coming mother!" Mavis exclaimed. She threw her hair out of the window so her mother could climb up.

"Mother... I would like to..." "Wow I have had such a hard day" She sung as she gave Mavis a basket of berries. Mavis quickly took it and put it on the table. "I would like to..." "not now sweetie... come and sing my song" she said as she flopped down in her chair. Mavis quickly grabbed a brush and sat on the ground in front of her mother. Her mother brushed her hair and Mavis quickly began to sing the song. "Mavis" her mother said with surprise. "I'm sorry... but I really want to ask you something" Mavis said. Her mother sighed and leaned back "what is it?" "You know my birthday is tomorrow..." Mavis said slowly. "And?" "and I want to go see the lights" Mavis muttered. "You know I hate muttering Mavis please" "I asked can I go see the lights tomorrow night?" Mavis asked.

"Do you really want to know what is out there?" Her mother asked patting her hair. "I..." "You should listen to your mother. Stay here" her mother said. "But" "Look at you Mavis. You are not made for the outside world. It is dangerous out there" she said. "There are men out there with sharp teeth that will eat you alive" her mother said. "No" Mavis said quickly. "Yes" she said. "Here you do not have to worry.. Mommy will protect you" her mother said soothing to her hair and she laid her head on hers.

"I know you will" Mavis said. "Mavis..." her mother said. "Yes mother?" "Don't ever ask me to live this tower again" she said. Mavis slowly nodded. "Yes mother" Mavis said. She pulled away and touched Mavis's hair again. "Don't look like that. It's better here. How about I make your favorite cake" she said as she took her hair and let it down the window. "I'll be back" she said as she climbed down.