Juvia hugged her body close to Gray's arm, like a koala from behind, peeking over his shoulder.

     He swiped his inky bangs out if his eyes, mentally preparing for the awkwardness that would ensue while explaining he had picked up a woman to travel with them.

Juvia.

     "It's kinda humid, isn't it? Too warm for the cold temperature we're used to- too warm for winter here, even." Ur wiped her brow, smiling tiredly at Gray.

      The lithe woman shared a strong resemblance to gray, from mannerisms, to onyx eyes, and high cheek bones. If she hadn't sensed otherwise, Juvia would have said that they were son and daughter. However, Juvia liked the aura around Ur. It was spirited yet laid back. She also demanded a strong presence.

     Juvia bit her cheek, poking over Gray's shoulder at the white haired boy, Lyon, who was staring right at her. Although she recognised him as the boy sometimes with Gray when he visited her Ocean, seeing him in person was different. Juvia was overcome with this urge to dissapear into the atmosphere under his gaze, or cling to anything familiar, which, in this case was Gray.

     Is this what it's like to be sheepish? Is this being shy?

     "Hey, Gray, who's the gorgeous girl?" Lyon's voice had a slight lilt to it. Juvia took a gulp and made a full step forward, still clinging to Gray's arm. All thoughts on what to say and how to act were blown away in wisps of the wind.

     Hot blood underneath burning up skin and perspiration slicking palms and malfunctioning heart and twisted stomach with toxic roots of the mind digging in it and fearfearfearfear.

    Her lungs muted her by taking out the breathe before she could breathe them out into syllables.

     She wasn't sure why the thought of social interaction terrified her so much. Many people were scared of heights, but she had fallen down quite a high one for Gray. Maybe she was able to push past the fear of leaving home because wanting Gray was the little but if spine she could cling to.

     However, when it came to Lyon, she had no desire to talk to him and no spine.

     "This is Juvia. I met her at Makarov's place." She felt Gray's voice reverberate on his spine as she clung to him.

     "Juvia? She's named after the Ocean itself? What a beautiful name!" A gasp came from Ur's part, and before she knew it, a cool hand was grabbing at Juvia's arm and guiding her forward, away from Gray. Juvia feebly followed. "Blue hair too! I didn't even know that was possible. Pretty."

     "Th-thank you, ma'am." Juvia appreciated at this moment that Ur didn't run her hands through her hair, overstepping boundaries Juvia now realised she had. Did Gray feel weird when Juvia touched him?

    "Wow. I'm surprised to see a girl like you tagging along with Gray." Lyon gave a charismatic smile, extending a hand. Juvia bitvher cheek again and shook it. "Can I ask why?"

    Juvia glanced behind her at Gray to talk.

    "I met her at Makarov's place. She seems to have amnesia, and I thought she should cone with us. She's got no where else to go."

    Amnesia? Juvia supposes going by that story is much simpler than the truth.

     "Amnesia? That's tough. You don't remember anything?"

     Juvia shook her head, wrapping her arms around herself and her oversized kimono for comfort. Lying was easier if you said nothing at all.

    "I know this is really sudden," Gray continued. "But the only alternative was to leave her with Makarov. He said she wasn't from the area, and Juvia claims to not remember any home or family... she had been in the wilderness alone a while when I found her."

    "Alright, she can come. If she wasn't from the area, then maybe if she travels around Yubikiri region with us she'll recognize family or be recognized."

     "...and if she doesn't?"

     "Then I guess Juvia will have to stay with us." A faint smile ickered on Ur's face, and Juvia couldn't help but shyly return it. "However, she'll probably need to work to earn her keep. Let's not worry about that, though. We can discuss things in more detail as we continue on."

     "The next village, Hoshiki, is a few hours away," Lyon said. "With all the storms and odd weather we've been having, the safest thing to do is make it before nightfall."

     Gray gave a nod, ready to start walking again and to have a long catching-up conversation with his mentor and friend. Right before setting off, Gray received a hug from Ur, as well as a pat on the bag from Lyon and a whisper in his ear Juvia could swore said: "I don't care if Juvia is your girl or whatever. All is fair."

• • •

a/n

it's exactly 3:19 a.m rn, but i stayed up to update since I was supposed to a few hours ago, or technically yesterday. anyways, if the chapter is short or rushed that's why, my apologies. i need your opinion: should I keep this book cover, or get a new aesthetic one with a real picture?

also jellyfish are immortal ohmi