Trying Times (Bonus Chapter)

Start from the beginning

"And for the record, Mr. Nicole, you're completely correct! You are indeed a huge a**hole who doesn't deserve that caring, loving, kind-hearted wife of yours. You don't deserve to be loved at all you rich, white bastard!" She finished and turned to face me. She stopped dead in her tracks, eyes blowing wide at the sight of me before her.

Guilt flooded her muddy brown eyes and I felt my rage spike to concerning heights. Against her better judgment, she dashed towards me, her eyes pleading with me.

"You have to understand, Mrs. Nicole, I never-" I swiftly cut her off by slamming her head into the door behind me by her neck, my nails digging into the soft, sensitive flesh.

"I don't have to understand anything. What I do understand, though, is that it takes two douche bags to cheat, not just one. You are just as much at fault here as my husband is." I said disgustedly. "You knew exactly what you were doing when you decided to rush into bed with someone who was already taken. You should be ashamed of yourself. Have you no morals?" I questioned with poorly concealed anger seeping from every pore of my being.

She opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off once again. "I have no desire to hear a single thing you have to say. Please, do me a favor and just get the hell out of my house." I hissed before releasing her throat making my way towards the stairs. I needed about a 36-hour nap. I heard the distinct sound of the front door slamming, and then a tug on my forearm. I gritted my teeth and clutched the banner to keep from beating the living sh*t out of him.

"Cassidy, please." He begged. I violently shrugged his hand off of me, not even turning to look at him during my reply.

"No. Not now, Michael. My heart is too hurt to hear your try and make up some ridiculous excuse to justify your unforgivable behavior. I'd like for you to pack some things and leave for a while. I do not wish to see you." I cursed the quiver that accompanied my voice, no longer able to remain strong now that the deep timbre of the voice that once comforted me wrapped around my body, constricting my lung's ability to breathe properly. Of course, I would never tell Poppy that. I needed to be strong for my girls.

"If you would just let me explain." He tried once again.

"There is nothing to explain!" I whipped around and screamed at the top of my lungs, voice raspy and husky from trying to withhold tears that so desperately wanted to be released. Now, staring into his eyes I could hear the deafening cracks of my heart breaking completely.

Lipstick was smudged against the collar of his dress shirt and his hair was completely mussed. I remember several occasions in which we would stumble from a bathroom or random bedroom at some house party or event looking just like he was now. All his associates, or our family, knowing exactly what we'd been up to. I was unable to contain the sob that tore from my chest. My heart physically ached.

He used my moment of weakness to his advantage and crushed me to his chest with his muscular arms. I flailed, kicked, sobbed, and slapped at his chest over and over. Screaming obscenities at him while continuing my attack. My body slackened with exhaustion as I just accepted the comfort that only he was ever able to provide me.

I hated that after everything that I'd learned, and all the tears I've already cried over this, his sturdy chest and the scent of his familiar cologne still calmed me.

"Cass..." He said, his voice thick with his own tears. My fury returned with a vengeance.

"No! You don't get to be upset! You're the reason all this sh*t is happening. You don't get to cry, or yell, or feel anything other than guilt and shame! Don't touch me!" I yelled, slapping his hands away from me for the second time. "I'm not going to repeat myself again. I want you to pack your things and go. I'll figure out something to tell Tansy." I mumbled, completely defeated. I just wanted a bottle of red and nice long bath. I couldn't emotionally handle anything further than I already have.