Kleio had to admit that Cyris kept his gardens well taken care of. The fresh air, the floral scents. There was not a wilted flower in sight. Everything outside was bright and beautiful and perfect. The idea of going back inside brought dread into Kleio's heart.

"Have you heard from your father?" The king asked suddenly, ducking his head as they passed beneath some low tree branches.

Kleio was suddenly drenched in a wave of grief and homesick wistfulness. She wanted to see her family more than ever and the reminder that she had no idea of how they were doing was overpowering.

She shook her head silently.

"I have always liked your father. To hear of his misfortune was quite saddening. If you would like, I shall send for news on your brother's well being as well as your father's," His generous offer made Kleio snap her head in his direction, her mouth open in surprise.

"No, I cannot trouble you. You have much more pressing matters to see to."

The king patted her hand gently,"It is no trouble. Your father is a good man and although I have not seen you since you were a babe, I am sure you are a wonderful young lady. It would be good to hear from him."

Kleio smiled,"Thank you, your majesty. You are too kind."

Once again Kleio was forced to remember how strange this all was. Being married, walking through the courtyard, arm in arm with the king. She felt as though she were in a strange dream, but she knew there was nothing to wake to as she was already awake.

"If it is not too bold, may I ask why you chose me to marry Lord Cyris?" Kleio asked.

The king took in a deep breath,"Because of your father, truly. The daughters of the men of court only care for things. Riches, dresses, food. They are selfish and foolish. But you, you were raised by a man who did not befriend entitlement. Who did not waste his money for things. You have known pain and hard times. I believe you to be the only woman with enough understanding and compassion to bring Cyris out of the cage he has set around himself."

Kleio did not know what to say. That was a lot of pressure and kindness the king had just said. She did not know what to think of it.

"You honor me, your highness," She ducked her head, her voice not as strong as she would have liked.

The king chuckled and patted her arm again.

"How is it you knew who I was in the hallway?" Kleio asked, her mind focusing in on the reality of being in the presence of the king. It did not make sense. She did not feel worthy.

"I met you when you were just a little child. You could do no more than crawl. I saved you from crawling right into the fire," His eyes sparkled with warmth and Kleio could not help but admire how down to earth he was. She expected a strikingly handsome man who threw orders around and made battle plans with his loyal Knights. Not a man who chose to spend his time with a young lady.

"Well, thank you, my lord," Kleio smiled and he laughed.

"Today, I recognized you by your dress. I was there the last generation of Kerrigans were wed. Oh.....I suppose that makes me rather old, doesn't it?" Kleio could tell he was joking by the tone of his voice.

"Not at all," She laughed a little.

"Your majesty!" A deep, masculine voice called from behind him. They turned to see a knight running towards them, two others following close behind.

"We've been looking all over for you!" He caught up to them, breathless and seemingly agitated.

Kleio gasped and released the king's arm, dropping into a curtsy,"Forgive me, your majesty, I have wasted your time."